Eastbourne firefighters called to Langney blaze
Eastbourne firefighters were sent to a blaze at a home in Langney today.
A crew went to a flat on Westerham Road, Langney, around 12pm today to tackle a washing machine that had set on fire.
A spokesperson for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said, “We were called at 12.01pm to a flat on Westerham Road in Langney.
“Two fire engines from Eastbourne attended.
“There had been a fire in a washing machine. No action was needed by crews. The fire was accidental.
“Electrical appliances, plugs and cables that are old or poorly wired can be a real danger. Check them regularly and stop using the equipment or appliances immediately if they are damaged or worn.
“Watch out for hot plugs or sockets, scorch marks, fuses that often blow, or flickering lights - they are all are signs of loose wiring or other electrical problems
“When you’re fitting or replacing a fuse, it’s important to use the right fuse for the appliance to make sure the fuse doesn’t overheat.
“Sign up to alerts about product recalls at Electrical Safety First www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/
“If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out, or switch off the power at the fuse box - if it’s safe to do so. Sometimes this can stop the fire immediately. Never use water on an electrical fire, and don’t take any risks with your safety - get out, stay out and call 999.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at Text to display
3) Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.