Re-development of Hailsham town centre enters first stages
The proposed re-development of Hailsham town centre has had its first documents submitted.
Plans submitted on behalf of Wealden District Council have been posted on the council’s website for the Hailsham Aspires Project.
Developers have requested a screening opinion for the re-development plans, which finds out if an Environmental Impact Assessment is needed before making a planning application.
The request includes details of the proposed project which would see changes come to Hailsham on land to the north and south of Vicarage Lane.
According to the request documents, Wealden District Council’s vision of the project is to, “Establish a vibrant activity-based modern market town offering a diverse town centre offer with civic centre hub, public social spaces affording better connectivity across the town centre and surrounding area, to attract and maintain residents and visitors whilst promoting local job creation and long-term sustainability.”
Objectives of the project include:
• Create an exemplar of a modern market town, of high quality and sustainable architectural design and construction
• Meet the demands of current and future population growth whilst realising appropriate sustainability targets and goals
• Greater diversity of town centre offer generating more footfall, showing support for arts, culture, recreation and a civic centre hub
• Provide residential development to support the town centre offer and provide much needed housing
• Deliver future proofing opportunities for the town centre and the provision of flexible spaces
• Provide and enhance public/open social spaces and become a gateway to the surrounding environment and landscape
• Provide more green spaces and trees
• Greater reference to Hailsham culture, heritage and history
• Provide appropriate leisure facilities
• Enhance access to and across the town centre and local area offering future proofed car parking provision
• Encourage a more vibrant night-time economy
The request document says the proposal will be for a mixed-used development of Hailsham town centre to comprise phased demolition of all existing buildings, with the exception of St. Mary’s Church and churchyard. The project will see the construction of residential and commercial units and 750 parking spaces.
The next step for the project is to decide if an Environmental Impact Assessment is needed before a planning application is submitted.