Twine eyes Hove T20 glory after final over heroics

Six runs to win and one over remaining - it’s the type of high-tension conclusion to a cricket match that players play for.

Eastbourne pace bowler David Twine would have no doubt played out this scenario in his mind numerous times throughout his career.

David Twine

David Twine

But on Sunday, at the Saffrons, in the Gray Nicholls T20 Cup, Twine was faced with the reality.

Eastbourne had rattled up a total of 157-6 from their 20 overs as Matt Cooke top-scored with 53.

With 151-5 on the scoreboard and six balls to go, East Grinstead looked strong favourites to advance to the semi-final stage as Eastbourne skipper Mark Tomsett handed Twine the ball.

Grinstead scored four runs from the first two balls to reach 155 but that was to be as close as they came.

With three ball remaining Twine steamed in to face Oliver Graham who was well set on 47 and looking confident to guide his side home.

However, Twine’s yorker was perfectly placed, Graham was forced to play and the ball popped up for Mark Trubshaw to catch at cover.

Two balls remaining; tworuns required for victory.

Victim number two was new batsman Lee Granger. Once again Twine approached and Granger could only watch as Twine’s delivery found a way through his defence and up-rooted his leg stump.

The hat-trick ball: Chris Fowle was the next man in for Grinstead and his task was simple - one ball remaining, two runs required.

A fired-up Twine steamed in once again, Fowle got bat onto ball but Luke Wells was well placed to gather the catch and the celebrations began on a quite remarkable victory - a victory that Twine is unlikely to forget.

He finished with figures of 5-26 from his four overs.

Twine said, “There were two good batsmen at the crease but I had a lot of good fielders out there and had great support from my captain, so I felt alright going into it.

“My plan was to bowl three stock balls to begin with and then vary it up from there.

“Obviously getting the wicket on the fourth ball helped and I could then just keep with the stock ball.

“For the third one I didn’t even realise I was on a hat-trick to be honest, I was just so determined to make sure he didn’t get a run.

“He swung at it and the ball popped up in the air and it was caught by Dan Wells, it was just a brilliant feeling once he caught it.

“We certainly had a couple of jugs in the changing rooms afterwards, always required after five wickets!”

Eastbourne will go on to play Sussex Premier League side Cuckfield in the semi-final on July 28. Cuckfield are currently midtable having won five, lost five and drawn twice.

Twine added, “The final is at Hove under the floodlights, everyone in the team wants to be there so I expect everyone will be putting in a 100 per cent effort for that.”