Pooley and March combine to guide Hellingly to victory

Hellingly recorded their first win of the Sussex League Division Three East season as they beat Henfield by six wickets.

Winning the toss Henfield chose to bat first but fell to 33-3 as Dan Pellett (2-25) and Adam Devlin (2-30) took the early wickets.

Steve Mundy (22) and WillIam Culver (29) brought the vistors back into the game but Sol March ended the comeback as he ran Culver out and bowled Mundy.

William Hook then bowled an excellent spell as he cleaned up the tail taking 3-3. Henfield finished the inninngs on 130 all out.

With 57 overs at their disposal, Hellingly lost three early wickets as two of the top four were dismissed without scoring as William Harrison (2-24) and Graham Fuller did the damage.

Opener Pellett stayed at the crease though and scored 24 before he was bowled by Tim Parsons.

James Pooley (32*) and March then scored an unbeaten 72 partnership as they guided Hellingly to a six-wicket victory and 30 points, with March capping a fine first innings performance with 56 not out which included six fours and two sixes.

Hellingly II remain unbeaten with a fourwicket win away at Henfield II’s.

Winning the toss Henfield chose to bat first and got off to a slow start as the openers saw off the new ball.

Hellingly’s bowlers were not backed up in the field as several chances went to ground which the batsman then punished.

Martin Secrett was dropped twice early in the innings as he went on to score 82 and Scott Pedersen hit 48 before being bowled by Tim Funnell (3-42).

The home side lost their last five wickets for just 24 runs as Gavin Sutherland took 4-24 as Henfield finished on 214 all out.

Hellingly in reply got off to a great start with George Hook and Monty Payne putting on over 100 for the opening partnership.

Richard Dale made the first breakthrough as he trapped Payne LBW for 46. A few overs later Hook fell to Dale as well, being stumped out by keeper Harry Stewart.

Hellingly captain Sutherland then had to watch on as four further wickets fell from the other end with Dale and Stewart taking another stumping as Dale finished on 3-20 and Malcolm Davis taking 2-35. Sutherland remained at the crease though and finished 32 not out as his side won by four wickets and claimed 30 points to remain top of the league.

Patient Ceux sneak a derby victory

HELLINGLY III lost by one-wicket to Herstmonceux in a keenly- contested local derby.

Herstmonceux won the toss, and asked Hellingly to wave the willow first. The visitors got off to a superb start with captain Luke Boorer (23) showing his usual aggressive batting style but with two quick wickets tumbling at the other end Hellingly were in a bit of trouble.

This brought the return of former captain Rupert Harbour who made a much-needed partnership of 38 with young opening batsman David Williams (47*). Williams carried his bat all through the innings, batting for just under three hours. Hellingly finished on 115-6 with Sam Heady (2-6) and Paul Sandells (2-16) taking two wickets apiece.

Herstmonceux on the other hand started at a slower rate with only captain Ian Jones (25) making double figures out of the top six batsman.

This was largely down to the slow left arm of Chris Morris (2-36) and pace bowler Adam Pye (5-15).

Boorer (2-26) was the other bowler to pick up wickets as Herstmonceux scrambled over the line with one wicket to spare, along with just 15 balls.

This win was down to Brendan Hobden (25) and Liam Baitup (26) whose composure and patients sealed the win.

Hailsham U13 squad travelled to The Larkins, Eastbourne for their first fixture of the season in the first round of the EACA cup tournament.

Captain Bradley Rose elected to field first. Ciaren Peacock (0-41) took the first over, only to be faced with quality batting from the Eastbourne side.

Ollie Bowden (2-27) took the second over and kept the scoring a bit tighter. The third wicket taken was an amazing runout by Kayleigh Pavitt.

Eastbourne finished on 180 runs Connor Colbourne was dismissed early. Tom Cottington (27), was joined by Dan Griffiths (16). The pair batted patiently and took advantage of the very few loose balls that came their way.

Unfortuntely no more runs were to be added to the total and Hailsham eventually finished on 56 runs after 20 overs.