Youth football round-up

A round-up of all the action from the youth football league.


Pevensey & Westham 5,

ASC Strikers 6

Pevensey were yet again involved in a thrilling game of football in Div 1 SSYFL. Paul Edge scored his first ever goal for the club to open the scoring. This was quickly followed by a long range effort from Max Crowhurst. ASC Strikers then dominated the rest of the first half and went in at the break 5-2 up. The second half saw Pevensey take back control and it wasn’t long before Jack Hobden pulled one back. The same player was then brought down in the box to earn a penalty that was cooly converted by Adam Bateman. George Cooke completed the comeback to score and draw the teams level. Not content with the draw, Pevensey pushed forward looking for the winner and were caught on the break in the closing minutes with ASC scoring what proved to be the winning goal. Both teams performed superbly to play such a great quality game in torrential rainy conditions.

Sovereign Saints Yellow 2,

Mile Oak Wanders 2

Saints fought out a well-earned 2-2 draw on Sunday in awful weather.

Mile Oak took a 2-0 lead but but the Yellows were not to be denied and provided a rousing comeback. Josh Smith was the lad who bagged the goals with a well-taken brace. Billy Dean took the game to Mile Oak in the second half, almost single handedly at times, to rightly earn himself the Man of the Match award.

Ratton Rangers 3,

West Hove Dynamo 3

Ratton Rangers U11s kept up their unbeaten start to the season with a 3 – 3 draw at home to West Hove Dynamos. Ratton went ahead three times during the game but just couldn’t hold on to the lead. At 3-2 up with a minute to go, Ratton had many opportunities to clear their lines and were punished with the last kick of the game for not doing so by West Hove getting their equalising goal.

Ratton’s goalscorers were Jacob Roberts, Charlie Barnard, and Callum Elliott.


Southdown 3,

Eastbourne Girls 3

Eastbourne Girls continued their good start to the season against a tough Southdown side. Eastbourne played their normal passing game and started brightly but were frustrated by a stubborn defensive display. As halftime approached, Southdown scored on a rare forward movement. Eastbourne continued pushing forward in the second half and were rewarded when debutant Ella Newman scored from long range and then quickly added a second. Southdown equalised following a corner, then Ella completed her hat-trick but with the last kick of the game, Southdown reacted first to a loose ball in the Eastbourne area to square the match.

Hailsham United 6,

Edenbridge Spitfires 2

Edenbridge took an early lead in this League KO Cup clash. Hailsham peppered the visitors with shots but none, including a fine freekick from Dan Collins, found their way past the in-form ‘keeper. Eventually Morgan Pennicard levelled but the Spitfires went ahead once more. Sean Alexander scored before halftime and after the break, with the wind at the their backs, Collins and Callum Edwards found the net with a brace each easing the Juniors through to the next round.


Eastbourne Town Blue 1,

ASC Strikers 3

Eastbourne Town’s good start to the season was brought to a halt by ASC Strikers in the first Round of the Sussex League Cup. In poor conditions, ASC took the lead after 10 minutes. Town responded well and the equaliser came when Harry Colbran picked up a loose pass in the ASC back four to slam in an unstoppable 20-yard drive into the top left corner. With 30 seconds of the half to go, Town’s failure to clear their lines properly proved costly as ASC added a second with a header. ASC nicked the next goal midway through a tight second half and it proved decisive. The final whistle came in what had been a good game played in difficult conditions. Town are now left to focus on the County Cup and the league. MOM - Lewis Smith

ASC Strikers 1,

Ratton Rangers 1

Ratton found themselves a goal down after seven minutes but levelled 10 minutes later as Jack Dunmore headed home Darcy Ham’s freekick.Ratton went on to dominate the remainder of the first half but failed to convert chances. The second half was very frustrating as Ratton struggled to find their passing game and ASC slowly got a foothold on the game. They had a few chances and a couple of six-yard box goal mouth scrambles that were all cleared eventually, with Ross Day making one very good save.
Special mention to Jack Sutton who was exceptional, while Darcy Ham and Jack Dunmore competed well against three ASC players in the centre of the park.


Eastbourne Borough Blacks 3, Eastbourne Borough Reds 4

Eastbourne Borough Under-16 Blacks came up against their own club rivals, Borough Red. In a thrilling league match, the Blacks took the early lead with Nathan Stoddern slotting home before Charlie Truman made it 2-0 at half time. Blacks were hit by two quick Red goals early in the second half and a third 15 minutes from time. Sam Smith equalised shortly after but the Reds hit a winner eight minutes from time to finish a great display of football from both sides played out in horrendous conditions. MOM Sam Smith

Old Varndenians 2,

Polegate Grasshoppers 3

Polegate continued their excellent start to the season with a hard fought away win. Playing in driving rain, Polegate took an early lead when Matt Loe jumped bravely to meet a corner and bundle the ball past a mass of defenders. The Hoppers continued to press and Harry Rogers hit the post, but the home team equalised against the run of play with a long-range free kick. Polegate regained the lead early in the second half when Loe rose at the far post to head home a cross from Matt Bosly and livewire striker Caylan Parfitt added a third when he used his pace to burst through a static defence and fire past the advancing keeper. Old Varndenians pulled a goal back late on.