Spirits remain high after narrow defeat to leaders

Eastbourne Hockey Club suffered their fifth straight defeat at the hands of table-topping Richmond, but team manager David Adelstone insists confidence at the club is still high.

Adelstone said, “It was a much better performance than last week, especially as it was against the league-leaders.

“The atmosphere among the players here is good, we just need to find that next win.”

Eastbourne were two goals down at half time but managed to grab one back straight after the restart thanks to Daniel Williams.

Richmond replied with another two goals in quick succession before seeing two of their men dismissed in the final minute. Eastbourne managed to score another goal through Jeremy Sumner but it was nothing more than a small consolation.

“Our tackling certainly needs to improve but there were some outstanding performances from Rob Cornell and Alex Barnes,” Adlestone commented.

New signing James Van Der Reisen was also handed his debut in the match and put in a solid showing.

Adelstone added, “We’re happy to have James here as we would like to get a slightly bigger squad. It’s difficult for us when we have injuries because we have the two smaller clubs as well.”

Eastbourne face a local derby against Brighton and Hove Men’s firsts on Saturday but will be without the high-scoring Alex Barnes.

It was a slightly better day for the other teams in Eastbourne as the men’s second team cruised past Crawley men’s seconds 6-0 and Eastbourne Ladies recorded a comfortable 9-3 victory over Trojan Ladies seconds.

Eastbourne Men’s seconds face South Saxon’s Men’s firsts on Saturday while Eastbourne Ladies travel to Richmond Ladies firsts.

Eastbourne Ladies seconds, who drew against Horsham Ladies thirds, will play Chichester Priory Park Ladies seconds.

Crowborough Men’s 1st XI 4

Hailsham Men’s 1st XI 4

HAILSHAM threw away two points in a 4-4 draw against Crowborough on Saturday.

The visitors started the South Hockey League Sussex Area - Division One game at a fast pace, putting a lot of pressure on the Crowborough defence.

And with goals from skipper Daniel Ivemy and Rob Lee, Hailsham had a good lead. But Crowborough kept on working and got a goal back to end the first half at 2-1.

Hailsham completely switched off as the second half started, allowing Crowborough to score two more goals and take the lead at 3-2.

But Hailsham started to play again and equalised with a Sam Headey goal in open play. Crowborough kept pushing forward and again took the lead at 4-3, but in the dying minutes, Ant Hathaway brought the score back to 4-4.