Blue and Golds march on against Burgess Hill

Eastbourne celebrate victory
Eastbourne celebrate victory

A superb performance by Eastbourne saw them trounce Burgess Hill on Saturday in a key game at the top of the league. In every respect, Eastbourne were superior; fitness, skill and speed. At the end of the match, club president John Feakins declared that it had been as good a performance as he had seen at the club in over 30 years.

The game started with a respectful silence to mark the death of Sussex past President Graham Thompson. Thereafter the Blue & Golds showed no respect for the so-called Sussex All Blacks who were comprehensively put to the sword. Eastbourne have yet to concede a try at home in this league this season and despite giving away two early penalties, they played breathtaking rugby in both attack and defence. The first home try came on 20 minutes after a scintillating run up the left wing by Charlie Smith; James Coulthard in support to crash over. Coulthard then made the conversion look easy. Minutes later Matt Mottram won clean ball from a line out and Nick King stepped off his wing to split the opposing centres for a try beneath the posts. Coulthard converted for 14-6 and it didn`t end there. Towards the end of the half a jinking run by Max Cheater was supported by Coulthard who slipped the ball to Charlie Smith for a further five points

Turning round at 19-6, the break and the introduction of substitutes gave an added dimension to the Eastbourne pattern of play. Within minutes of the restart, a bullocking run by prop Matt Webb led to a try for No.8 Tom Redman. This time Nathan Ring added the extras, something he was able to repeat a few minutes later after scrum half Pysden kept the board ticking over for a deserved score.

Midway through the half, winger Smith fielded a high ball on the left flank, skinned his opposite number and slipped the ball to Coulthard who was on his shoulder to score the next try. By this time, Burgess Hill heads were down and it was no surprise when Smith again got into the action to score his second and the home side`s seventh and final try.

Man of the match could have gone to any one of 18 names but Chairman Fraser Brooks awarded it to Tom Buttle who barely put a foot wrong at wing forward. Next up are the dangerous Worthing Senior XV

Eastbourne: Imich, Ring, Webb, Mottram, Van Bentham, Buttle, Redman, Hibben, Pysden, McKay, Smith, Cheater, Clark, King N., Coulthard, Chilvers, Keen, King M.