Town’s survival hopes are getting slimmer

Eastbourne Town v Folkestone Invicta at the Saffrons
Eastbourne Town v Folkestone Invicta at the Saffrons

Eastbourne Town’s poor run continued despite a improved performance against play off hopefuls Folkestone Invicta at the Saffrons on a cold and misty Wednesday night.

It all started well for Town as Layton Schaaf scored with only eight minutes on the clock when his shot went beyond Tim Roberts in the Folkestone goal to give town the lead.

This was short lived however, as just three minutes later Paul Booth cut in on the right and beat Broadbent from a tight angle with Ryan Cooper trying to stop it on the line.

Folkestone came more into the game and when midway through the half Cooper tripped Paul Booth in the box, referee John Pike pointed to the spot and put Cooper’s name into his notebook.

Booth himself dusted himself down and sent Broadbent the wrong way to give Folkestone the lead.

Billy Medlock and Schaaf continued to cause problems for the Folkestone defence problems and as Schaaf applied pressure chasing a long through ball defender NatBlankes placed his header past Tim Roberts and the half ended level.

The second half began with Folkestone’s star player Johan Ter Horst who gas been attracting the attentions of a number of pro clubs going close.

Medlock was then set up by Clarke but for once the young striker failed to find the net.

Payne replaced Clifford as Town tried desperately to grab the winner.

However, with just 10 minutes to go Cooper was beaten by Ter Horst who fired beyond Broadbent to give Folkestone the win and keep them very much in the play off race.

For Town they can take positives but their chances of retaining Ryman status are getting slimmer each week. On Saturday (tomorrow) they travel to Faversham Town.

Town: Broadbent, Hollobone, Sutton, (Del-Guardio 19) Davidson, Cooper, Gilbert, Crone, Clifford, ( Payne 69) Clarke, Medlock, Schaaf. Subs not used Johnson Holford

MOM Tom Gilbert

ATT 112