Town’s FA Cup dream is over for another year

Danny Bloor
Danny Bloor

EASTBOURNE Town boss Danny Bloor is determined to address his side’s problem of conceding early goals.

This time their habit of giving away cheap, early goals cost them dear at Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday as they were dumped out of this season’s FA Cup at the first hurdle.

Playing the early League pacesetters, who have a 100 per cent record and have yet to concede this campaign, was never going to be an easy task but it was made more difficult in the second minute, once Thorp parried an early shot directly to Frankie Sawyer, who accepted the gift with glee.

Bloor said, “There are certainly areas we need to sort out and that is one of them.

“But overall I was pleased with how we played we matched them on the day and gave them plenty to think about but we gave away two soft goals.

“However we move on and it’s onwards and upwards.”

To their credit, this season’s Town side refuse to roll over, and for the rest of the first half competed well with their illustrious hosts, one of the most famous names in the non-league arena.

With just one goal separating the two sides there was always the chance of a Town equaliser, however, this was not to be as James Tedder in the home goal was up to everything thrown at him.

The visitor’s clearest chance in the second period fell to Sam Crabb who shot firmly across the goal but his effort rolled the wrong side of the far post. The game’s outcome was hugely influenced in the 70th minute when the referee strangely chose to ignore his flagging linesman, not once but twice. Nathan Crabb had escaped from his marker and, when clear through on the home goal, he was unceremoniously bundled over. The raucous appeals for a penalty were waved away and the potential loss of the host’s defender was avoided. On 78 minutes Scott Kirkwood was dismissed for his second booking leaving the visitors with 10 men and an uphill task. Midfielder Kirkwood’s first caution was for handball and the second was given for a foul.

Try as hard as they did, Town could not regain parity and they fell to a second goal in stoppage time when the home left back, Dean Carpenter, smashed home from outside the area, leaving Thorp rooted to the spot, to ensure their safe passage into the next round.

TOWN: Thorp 5, Denton 7, May 8, G. Manton 6, Fogden 6, Freeman 6 (Kassacks), Kirkwood 6, S.Crabb 7, Curd 7, N.Crabb 7, B. Manton 7 (Geard)

MoM: Steve May - turning in very consistent performances