Seaford Town battle back for point against AFC Varndeanians

Seaford Town were made to work for their share of the points in a 1-1 draw at the Crouch - after a half-time deficit threatened defeat at the hands of AFC Varndeanians in the SCFL Supplementary tournament.

Wednesday, 14th April 2021, 1:58 pm
Seaford Town in action against Mile Oak last weekend / Picture: Andy Pelling

A second half resurgence from Seaford after conceding just before the half meant that the points were shared in what was a highly contested game between the two sides.

The first ten minutes seemed to set the tone for the rest of the game, with both sides displaying high intensity from the word go. In terms of clear cut chances, however, there were little, with the teams seeming to cancel each other out with their continuous work rate.

Seaford’s relentless pressure would not be rewarded however, as just before half-time they would go on to concede. A superb strike from V’s midfielder Joe Keehan, who was able to fire in on the half volley from outside the area, giving Jack Webb no chance in the Seaford goal. A definite blow for the home team, whose structure had proven resolute for the vast majority of the first half.

Seaford came out in the second half knowing it would take a strong performance to find their way back into the game. The home side made several substitutions early in the first in the hope of sparking some energy in the game.

Those changes went on to make an immediate impact for Seaford, as just ten minutes into the second half they had an equaliser. Great play on the left side from winger Callum Edwards, who was able to cut to the byline and fire a low cross to the edge of the six-yard box where substitute Simon Piper arrived to steer the ball into the net, levelling the score for Seaford.

At first it seemed the goal would see a shift in momentum towards the home side, however Varndeanians did not subside to the pressure and would not allow Seaford to take control of the game.

The visitors were almost gifted a chance to retake the lead with 20 minutes to play, after Webb in the Seaford goal was unable to hold on to an over-hit pass, although the away side were unable to capitalise on the mistake.

At the other end, Seaford thought they had taken a lead of their own after the ball fell to late introduction Charlie Morley in the box, though his effort was cleared off the line by a Varndeanians defender.

The game would go on to finish level, with both sides being happy to receive an equal share of the points in the end. Seaford Town manager Paul Wise gave credit to his side after the game, stating ‘they showed a lot of character in the second half’ to find an equaliser.