Promotion favourites Dorking are far too strong

Eastbourne United v Dorking Wanderers at The Oval. September 10th 2011
Eastbourne United v Dorking Wanderers at The Oval. September 10th 2011

EASTBOURNE United AFC boss Paul Daubeney vowed to strengthen his squad after they came crashing down to earth following their first win of the season against Westfield in midweek.

Dorking Wanderers are expected to be one of the front-runners for promotion and were far too strong for this injury-hit United side.

While off the field things appear to be moving in the right direction, on it some United players were barely moving at all as they struggled to string two passes together and failed to test the Dorking keeper once during the entire 90 minutes.

“We lacked commitment and some of my players are not giving me the 110 per cent that I am asking for,” said Daubeney. I want workers who are willing to give me 100 per cent plus and not give up when things are going wrong. “At the moment we have too many players with injuries and I have to find some extra ones.” Already without the injured Ben Putland and the suspended Tony Russell, Daubeney’s problems were compounded when striker Evan Archibald limped off in the 17th minute and in a disastrous second half, United were also forced to substitute Jack Fry and keeper Grant Fitzgerald.

While United’s new 6ft signing Ryan Walton seemed to lack mobility, it was his burly opposite number Matt Evans who did much of the damage, using his height to head two goals from long throws.

In a Dorking controlled first half, sub Jamie Bunn at least introduced some energy into the team and made an immediate impact with a low cross which sadly failed to find a finisher.

Most of the action was at the other end where the hard-working Lee Jules did well to deny Luis Freitas with a goal-line clearance and Matt Evans headed Bob Hooper’s corner inches over the bar.

The deadlock was finally broken three minutes before the interval when the speedy Chris Williams broke away on the right and provided a perfect finish into the far corner of the net.

If United were hoping to get back into the game in the second half they were in for a rude shock, finding themselves three down inside eight minutes of the restart.

First Tom Familton’s long throw was glanced into the net by the head of Matt Evans and then Williams cut in from the right and fired a left-foot shot just inside the post.

It was vey much game over as Dorking forced endless corners and in the 69 th minute Evans headed his second and his side’s fourth with another header from a Familton throw,

Lee Daubeney took over from the injured Fitzgerald in goal but nothing was going to prevent a sixth league defeat in eight games.

Hopefully, United’s new stand will soon be in place. A soaking as well as a suffering might test the resolve of even the Oval’s faithful.

UNITED AFC: Fitzgerald 5 (Daubeney 6), Fry 5 (Lee 5), Hughes 6, Jules 7 * , Smart 6 , Stracey 5, Archibald (Bunn 6), Davey 6 , Walton 5, Holles 6, McLean 5. Ref: Paul John

MoM: Lee Jules - kept battling to the end – United need more like him Att: 44.