Miserable home record continues for Stringers

editorial image

HOME is certainly not sweet for Hailsham Town at present after their miserable record at The Beaconsfield continued on Tuesday night.

The Stringers have lost all three league matches and three cup ties (two of which have gone to extra-time) they’ve played on home soil so far this season.

Matt Darby’s early goal gave Sidley victory in a scrappy Sussex County Football League Division One fixture between two teams struggling for form.

Playing at The Beaconsfield for the second time in a fortnight, Sidley made a lively start with Jason Taylor and Marc Munday having early sights of goal before Darby grabbed what proved to be the winner in the eighth minute.

Taylor seemed to hang onto the ball for an age in the home box before laying it off to Allan McMinigal, who squared for Darby to shoot into the roof of the net. It all started from good work by Kenny Pogue on the left.

Hailsham enjoyed a decent spell just before the midway point in the half during which Sidley goalkeeper Josh Pelling saved from his former Rye United team-mate Danny Leach, Marcus Whiteman and Craig Norman.

With the impressive Chris Agutter and Pogue showing some nice touches, Sidley ended the first 45 minutes the stronger and Dominic Clarke struck the post with a terrific effort after Taylor laid off McMinigal’s ball from the left.

Taylor was denied by Hailsham stopper Glenn Jenner and then shot wide in the first few seconds of the second period, but the below strength hosts got on top for a 10-minute period approaching the hour mark.

Pelling saved from Norman at the end of a Hailsham break and then used his legs to thwart Whiteman, as well as dealing competently with a few inswinging Craig Ottley corners under his crossbar.

Hailsham looked less likely to conjure up an equaliser the longer the game wore on, but given the difficulty Sidley had in keeping the ball and their recent defensive record, the visitors could never breathe easily.

McEniry headed a decent chance over from a well-delivered Darby free kick and substitute Kevin Bird had a couple of efforts saved at the end, while a Leach chip which sailed harmlessly over was as close as Hailsham got.

Boss Kenny McCreadie said, “I cannot ask anymore from the players.

“It’s impossible to have a go at them afterwards when they have just given you 110 per cent on the picth.

“We are working hard and if we keep doing that the results will come.

“It’s a long hard season. We have had a bad start but I’m convinced we will tun it around.”

Hailsham (4-4-2): Jenner; McCann (Blaney 52), Lewis, Earley, Stevens; Norman, Fletcher, Salvidge, Ottley (Skan 73); Leach, Whiteman (Daniels 57). Sub not used: Chatfield.