Last-minute strike helps Lewes on the way to thrilling cup win over Brighton

Ollie Rowe heads clear
Ollie Rowe heads clear

Lewes are through to the next round of the Sussex Senior Cup after clinching a dramatic

extra-time victory over Brighton and Hove Albion.

Trailing 1-0 and with only injury time left to play, it looked like to wasn’t to be for Garry Wilson’s men - but Tom Davis had other ideas.

Deep into the four minutes stoppage time, the midfielder stepped up to take a free kick on the edge of the box. With seconds left on the clock, he fired the ball home to send the tie into extra time - his equaliser, it transpired, was the last kick of the ball in normal time.

Lewes went into extra time with their tails in the air and it paid off just five minutes after the restart thanks to that man Davis again. Finding the ball at his feet 25 yards from goal, he unleashed a blistering shot that soared past a motionless Harry Doherty in the Brighton goal to give the home side the advantage for the first time that evening.

Lewes had enjoyed their fair share of chances during the 90 minutes - Nicky Wheeler saw his effort from distance take a wicked deflection to send it over the bar before Sam Cole rattled the woodwork just after half time. Doherty made a stunning save to tip Davis’s rebound shot to safety.

Moments later, Brighton’s under-21s took the lead. Shamir Fenelon charged down the right-hand side and his cross-field pass found Cameron Wiltshire, whose shot went in off the far post.

Undeterred and with the Dripping Pan faithful behind them, the Rooks pushed hard for an equaliser. Josh Marshall’s tame effort found Leroy Griffiths inside the box but the forward slipped at the crucial moment to allow Albion to clear their lines.

Substitute James Stinson then saw his header cleared off the line before another replacement, Elliott Romain, almost made an immediate impact only to see his shot hit the side netting. Doherty was then called into action once again and produced an outstanding save to tip over Nathan Crabb’s header.

Doherty could do nothing about Davis’s strike in injury time though, nor at the start of extra time. Romain almost added a third five minutes from time but failed to find the back of the net. It didn’t matter though, as the full time whistle blew with Lewes firmly into the third round of the Sussex Senior Cup.

Lewes: Banks, Crabb, Cole Rowe, Marshall (Romain, 80), Harrington (Brinkhurst, 24), Wheeler, Davis, Griffiths, Crabb, Crabb (Stinson, 65)