We must improve

Eastbourne Borough boss Garry Wilson insists he will not hesitate to make changes as their poor form on the road continued with a dismal defeat at Salisbury.

Wilson watched in disbelief as his side offered little resistance to a powerful Salisbury side at the Raymond McEnhill Stadium on Saturday.

He said, “We deserved nothing from the game. We were second best in all areas and were soundly beaten.

“After our last two games I thought we would perform much better than we did but two many of our players had an off day.

“I thought we worked hard and battled ok but their was no sharpness in our play and no creativity going forward.”

Wilson admitted changes would have to made if Boro’s inconsistent form continued. Asked what areas were of particular concern, the Boro’ boss added, “The whole team, it’s not just one area. We need to be consistent all over the pitch and challenging at the top.”

The Whites were on top for most of the match as their powerful and direct style of play overran a lightweight looking Boro side.

Dan Fitchett opened the scoring for the hosts just before half-time before Robbie Matthews and Ryan Brett completed the scoring in the second half.

Ahead of the match Boro’ were optimistic after back to back wins against Boreham Wood and Thurrock.

Wilson’s men have struggled on the road so far this season but had looked a stronger outfit in recent weeks thanks largely to the return of Gary Hart and Eddie Hutchinson.

Fans arrived at Salisbury optimistic of a result against one of the few full-time clubs in the division. But the hosts started brightly and looked the team more likely to score with Matthews returning from Newport County causing the Boro’ rearguard some problems.

Route one football was the order of the day for the hosts and Gary Elphick had to be aware to block a Fitchett shot after a good flick on from Matthews.

Boro’ created very little in open play but posed a threat from set pieces. On 20 minutes Matt Crabb flighted a ball into the box and Eddie Hutchinson’s header was well gathered by home keeper Connor Gough.

Matthews delivered a free kick into the box which the lively Fitchett fired wide before Charlie Knight cut in from the left to fire in a shot to test Rikki Banks.

But on 45 minutes the hosts took the lead. Adam Kelly’s freekick was hal-cleared by Elphick and Fitchett was well placed to blast beyond Banks.

Boro’ had a decent shout for a penalty just before the interval when Casey appeared to handle the ball under pressure from Gary Hart. Hutchinson and Hart surrounded the referee but Mr Rees simply waved play on.

The second half continued much like the first.

Boro’ were limited to shots from distance with Ethan Strevett, in for the injured Matt Smart, going the closest.

Salisbury added their second on 51 minutes. Jake Reid, on for the injured Hart, got behind full back Gary Charman far too easily. His cross-shot was parried by Banks and Matthews was in the right place to tap home to delight the home fans on his return.

Banks saved well from Adam Kelly before Matt Crabb fired an effort wide for Boro’ after a mazy run.

The third goal arrived on 82 minutes and it was no surprise that it came from a set piece. Ollie Rowe and Banks got in a tangle as they attempted to clear and Ryan Brett finished easily to complete the scoring.

Crabb had a chance to claim a late consolation but fired a volley over after Charman’s long throw.