Top notch Boro’ delight fans with stunning home display

Eastbourne Borough v Bromley. August 23rd 2011 Priory Lane
Eastbourne Borough v Bromley. August 23rd 2011 Priory Lane

By Derren Howard

at Priory Lane

BOSS Garry Wilson is never one to get too carried away after a game, but even he could afford a wry smile after their 5-0 demolition of Bromley at Priory Lane on Tuesday.

It was one of the most complete performances seen at the Lane for many years and sent out a message to the rest of the Blue Square South that this new look Boro’ could be serious contenders this season.

The last two games yielded eight goals with none conceded and all this with a large chunk of the squad out injured.

Wilson said, “It was a similar performance to the one we put in against Dorchester. We are starting to hit a bit of form and beginning to realise what’s required in this league. It was nice to put on this display in front of our home fans.”

From the start Boro’ snapped into the tackles and looked comfortable in possession. On three minutes defender Ollie Rowe pinged a delightful 40 yard pass to Matt Crabb. The winger took on Ryan James, delivered a dangerous cross but giant centre back Joe Dolan just beat Watson to the ball to divert for a corner.

They got the goal their flying start deserved on seven minutes. Darren Baker’s pass from right back caught out a static Bromley back four and Watson pounced and accurately picked out the far corner with an angled low drive.

The intensity died slightly and Bromley showed they were not going to crumble. Rikki Banks was forced to save well from Ryan Dolby’s low strike from a swift counter before Marlon Patterson whipped in a dangerous free kick that flew inches wide.

Bromley striker Leon McKenzie was extremely fortunate to escape a booking when he hacked down Baker from behind but Wilson’s men hit back in the best possible way.

On 34 minutes makeshift striker Eddie Hutchinson bundled home Matt Crabb’s cross and two minutes later it was 3-0. Crabb’s free kick was half cleared and Sam Cole’s deflected effort flew into the net. It was almost four on the dash of half-time. Brinkhurst’s cross was met by Hutchinson but it was cleared off the line by Danny Waldron.

After the break Crabb volleyed one over from distance before another long ball, this time from Johnson, found the lively Watson who beat the offside trap but his toe-poked finish was saved by the keeper.

The busy Bromley keeper Jon Henley produced good saves to deny Brinkhurst and Watson but the fourth goal arrived on 69 minutes and what a peach it was. A flowing move found Johnson on the right, his crossfield pass picked out Crabb, his nonchalant flick teed-up the overlapping Sam Cole who blasted low into the corner.

Carl Rook, came off the bench to make his debut along with Ethan Strevett and Ian Pulman.

And it was left to Strevett to complete the scoring with a scuffed finish at the second attempt.