Tommy’s up and running

Gary Hart has on target at Truro
Gary Hart has on target at Truro
Share this article

Eastbourne Borough recorded their first win under new manager Tommy Widdrington and hauled themselves out of the relegation zone.

The team and supporters embarked on their longest away journey of the season, with the team travelling down on Friday and stopping off at Widdrington’s old club Southampton to use their Staplewood Ground training facilities.

Brighton goalkeeper Mitchell Walker joined the squad, on loan for the remainder of the season, and was included in the Borough starting line-up, with Simon Johnson returning on the right of midfield and Ellis Remy teaming up with Garry Hart as front-runners.

With a strong wind blowing diagonally across the bumpy pitch, Truro began strongly with Andy Watkins forcing good saves from Walker in the opening minutes.

Gradually the visitors came into the game and took control of proceedings with Remy bursting through but lifting the ball over advancing keeper Ollie Chenoweth and narrowly over the bar.

Gary Hart saw a goalbound effort well saved and was again denied by the keeper when he brushed aside challenges before the keeper blocked his shot at the near post.

Then, Matt Crabb looked on agonisingly as he fired against the far post and Steve Adams was quick to clear his lines.

A good contingent of the Priory Lane faithful were wondering if these misses would be costly, when Hart held off a challenge from Arran Pugh before cutting inside and striking the ball firmly home to give Borough a 36th minute lead.

Then, with half-time approaching Crabb increased Boro’s advantage, on 44 minutes, with a fine goal following a good move from midfield, finishing after interaction with Hart on the edge of the box to break through the home defence and slot home.

Borough looked comfortable on the ball and were playing with a conviction that belied recent form, - having gone ten games without a league win with only one victory in the previous 16 Blue Square South outings!

Borough had earned a two-goal interval lead, but it should have been by a wider margin had chances been taken.

As the second period started Borough continued to attack the City goal with Remy going close on three occasions, the last of these seeing the striker falling to his knees despondently as he burst through with only the keeper to beat, only to find the ball bobble awkwardly on an uneven surface at the edge of the City area, hit him on the shin and roll to safety.

Truro enjoyed a period of domination, midway through the second period, as they pushed forward in numbers, but a well organised Borough defence coped well.

Walker held the ball cleanly in the air and was quickly down to thwart Hayles and Watkins, while Marvin Hamilton was strong on the right and Sam Cole enjoyed a pleasing display.

Ollie Rowe and Alex Lacey were strong in the centre, as Truro found difficulty whenever they moved forward.

In midfield Matt Smart, Stuart Anderson and Johnson combined well, with Crabb, always a threat on the left, going close to increasing the lead when his shot beat the keeper but brushed the post on 68 minutes.

Remy and Hart worked tirelessly causing problem’s for City as the team achieved the target for the week-end with three well deserved points, and with Staines Town going down at home to Basingstoke, Borough moved out of the danger zone.

After dealing with all Truro had to offer in the opening 15 minutes, Borough looked remarkably comfortable on the ball, looked well organised, were first to the ball and constantly threatened the Truro rearguard.

Borough worked with determination throughout, and should have collected their first win since early December by a greater score-line, but manager Tommy Widdrington was more than satisfied as he witnessed his first victory since joining the club.

Boro’ travelled to Farnborough on Tuesday night and welcome Sutton United to Priory Lane on Saturday.

Borough: Walker 7, Hamilton 7, Cole 6, Smart 7, Rowe 7, Lacey 7, Johnson 7, Anderson 6, Remy 6 (Watson 78 mins), Hart 7 (Brinkhurst 78 mins), Crabb 7

MOM: A team effort

Subs not used: Baker, Strevett, Banks Referee: I.Parsons