Taylor hits clasy double as impressive Borough seal three points

An opportunist strike and a moment of magic from returning striker Jamie Taylor sealed all three points for an impressive Eastbourne Borough against Weston Super-Mare at Priory Lane.

It took striker Taylor just 18 minutes to make his mark on his return to Priory Lane.

Eastbourne Borough

Eastbourne Borough

After a cagey opening, Taylor, who completed a loan deal from Sutton United on Friday, took full advantage of his first opportunity.

Darren Lok, operating on the left of a three-pronged attack, was causing problems for the defence.

The ball bobbled off Lok and Taylor nipped ahead of the static defence to steer a first-time effort beyond Weston Super-Mare ‘keeper Lloyd Iris from 10-yards out.

Tom Derry was also making his first appearance for Borough. Derry joined on loan from Gillingham this earlier this week and looked highly impressive on the right hand side of Tommy Widdrington’s bold attacking formation.

Derry left Weston skipper Jamie Laird for dead and clipped a fine ball over the top for Taylor.

The popular striker looked odds-on to add a second but he cut across the ball and his angled, powerful effort just faded away from the near post and into the side netting.

Two minutes later and Derry was at it again. Once again he showed too much skill for Laird and accelerated up the touchline. His excellent cross picked out Simon Johnson but the midfielder glanced his header just wide of the post.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic. Weston are just behind Borough in the league and showed some good attacking intent of their own. Giant striker Chass Hemmings caused a few problems while Naby Diallo and Tristan Plummer were a lively presence.

Indeed it was Plummer who so very nearly forced an equaliser when he flashed a right footed shot just wide of Craig Ross’ post on the half-hour mark.

Plummer came even closer on the stroke of half-time when his firm effort from eight yards was brilliantly beaten away Craig Ross.

Weston applied plenty of pressure after the break and it got a bit nervy for Borough fans and management as the visitors forced corners and freekicks in dangerous areas.

Borough held firm under-fire and it was that man Taylor who had the home supporters cheering once again on 61 minutes.

A long ball was played over the top of the defence and Taylor, spotted the ‘keeper off his line and executed the perfect lob from 35 yards to make it 2-0 and relieve the tension that had been building.

Derry almost repeated the trick on 78 minutes. The ball sat up nicely for the Gillingham youngster and his dipping effort from 30 yards had the keeper beaten but crashed back off the woodwork. Johnson’s close-range follow-up was blocked by Iris.

Man of the match Taylor was replaced on 80 minutes to rapturous applause and Borough saw the game out for a deserved victory.

Eastbourne Borough: Ross, Tallack, Gorman, Derry (Rowe 85), Simpemba, Watts, Taylor (Levy 82), Raymond, Lok (Hart 64), Johnson, Deaman.

Subs not used: M Taylor, Stinson.

Weston: Iris, Grubbs, Knowles, Walker (Harris 67), J Laird, Gregson, Diallo, Fiddes, Hemmings, Kington (C Laird 79), Plummer.

Subs not used: McGregor,Ash

Referee: Mr A Laver

Att: 472