Staines result is massive for Boro

Ben Watson and Ollie Rowe celebrate with Steve Brinkhurst after he scores the winner at Staines.
Ben Watson and Ollie Rowe celebrate with Steve Brinkhurst after he scores the winner at Staines.
Share this article

Steve Brinkhurst’s second-half winner made it nine points from seven games for Tommy Widdrington and gave Boro’ fans renewed hope of Blue Square South survival.

Saturday’s away win against fellow relegation strugglers Staines lifted The Sports two places up the table four points above the relegation zone.

The Wheatsheaf Lane kick-off was accompanied by heavy rain and hail with the floodlights in use in darkening conditions.

And it was the home side that enjoyed the best of opening exchanges as Boro’ skidded around on the wet surface.

Mark Nwokeji tested Boro’ ‘keeper Mitchell Walker in the early moments, and the striker was credited with Town’s 11th minute goal when a clearance rebounded off Nwokeji and in the confusion found its way into the net.

Boro’ lacked cohesion and were unable to create space as the opposition closed down any attempt for the visitors to move forward.

In the 26th minute Kavanagh again fired over from a free-kick just outside the area, but from this point on Boro’ gradually showed superiority, winning more possession and finding colleagues with greater ease.

Simon Johnson forced his way to the by-line, but his low cross shot across the goalmouth evaded everyone.

Boro’s efforts were finally rewarded in the 41st minute when Matt Crabb’s cross found Gary Hart on the six-yard box, who held up the ball before passing to Ben Watson who converted with his left foot at the second attempt.

Boro’ brought on Steve Brinkhurst at half-time and within six minutes he had fired his side ahead.

Cutting inside he received a perfect feed from Hart and placed the ball beyond the diving Danny Potter and into the far corner of the goal, for what proved to be the winning goal.

Walker was again in action when a back header from Matt Smart tested his keeper, and he saved well when Butler back-heeled from close range.

As Staines pushed forward in search of an equaliser David Wheeler saw his drive collected by Walker, who completed a fine game with firm handling from a Kavanagh free kick.

There was still time for Ellis Remy to go close, with Potter kicking the ball to safety although diving in the opposite direction.

Despite periods of Town pressure Ollie Rowe and Alex Lacey were in fine form in the Borough rearguard, allowing the eager home attack little space.

This may not have been the flowing performance of recent matches, but there was great commitment and the visitors fully justified their win.

BOROUGH: Walker 8, Baker 7, Cole 6 (Sub. Brinkhurst 45 minutes 6), Smart 6, Rowe 9, Lacey 8, Johnson 6 (Mason 86 minutes), Anderson 6, Watson 6 (Remy 70 minutes 6), Hart 7, Crabb 6

Subs not used Strevett Referee: J. Ross

Attendance: 269 MOM: Rowe - outstanding