Makeshift Boro’ up & running

Share this article

Eastbourne Borough boss Garry Wilson was delighted with his makeshift side as they secured their first win of the season with a thumping away victory at Dorchester on Saturday.

It was certainly a case of square pegs in rounds holes for their second away game in four days but a determined display and some sharp finishing recorded a deserved victory for an injury-hit Boro’ camp.

Wilson said, “We worked on a few things and a style of playing in training and it worked for us.

“It was a case of needs must. But the boys did well and we got a result.

“I was worried ahead of the match with all the injuries but we worked hard and it was a better performance.

However Wilson warned, “It was one good result.

“One win from three is not good enough and we have to show this sort of display consistently. It was more like it but we have not achieved anything yet.”

Preparations for the match were far from ideal. The side were Eager to get back into action after the disappointing display and result at Dartford, the previous Tuesday.

On Saturday the team bus was held up by horrendous traffic and there were worries about making kick off at the Avenue Stadium - they eventually arrived only 45 minutes prior to kick-off.

Once the game was underway, there were few worries as Borough produced a powerful and exciting display cruising to a convincing 2-0 interval lead, and it could have been more.

Sam Cole moved to full back in place of injured Sonny Cobb, with Eddie Hutchinson being pushed forward to add height and power.

Dorchester began brightly, but the visitors quickly settled, with Ben Watson, Matt Smart and Steve Brinkhurst all going close in the opening minutes.

As Borough continued to push forward, the opening goal came after 21 minutes when Borough were awarded a free-kick. Ollie Rowe converted Matt Crabb’s ball into the box. Confidence continued to grow as Borough looked to gain further advantage.

Eddie Hutchinson was influential throughout the game and could have been on the scoresheet when he burst through, but fired narrowly wide on 25 minutes.

Wilson’s men increased the lead in the 31st minute when Brinkhurst found space and crossed for Ben Watson to make it two.

Dorchester upped the pressure in the second period, and despite a number of free-kicks in dangerous positions on the edge of the Borough area and a succession of Dorchester corners, the visitors’ defence battled stubbornly and held tight.

Borough put the result beyond doubt on 65 minutes when Steve Brinkhurst hit a third goal, firing past keeper Simon Evans at the near post after working his way into the left-side of the area.

Ben Watson looked to have scored a fourth when he placed the ball in the net 10 minutes later, but his effort was ruled offside.

Borough remained in control without the superiority of the first half, but there was celebration on the terraces as the travelling supporters enjoyed the first win of life back in the Blue Square Bet South.

Borough’s dominance was recognised by the Dorchester Town match sponsors who declined to name a man of the match.