Late goal at last goes for Boro as win eases relegation fear

Eastbourne Borough v Hayes and Yeading United at Priory Lane March 19th 2013
Eastbourne Borough v Hayes and Yeading United at Priory Lane March 19th 2013

Four months ago, reports were telling tales about how Eastbourne Borough had conceded yet another late goal to see valuable points slip away from their grasp.

Four months ago was the last time the Sports had recorded a victory at Priory Lane - until Tuesday night.

For on Tuesday night, it was Borough who snatched the last-gasp win on home soil against Hayes and Yeading United courtesy of a 90th-minute wonder strike from Darren Lok.

But the Borough boys certainly didn’t make life easy for themselves.An 82nd-minute equaliser for the visitors had looked as it would be spoils shared before local boy Lok made sure of the three points.

The drama had started as early as the seventh minute after referee Ian Cooper pointed to the spot following a challenge by Alex Wynter on Tom Collins.

While arguments echoed around Priory Lane as to whether the tackle was fair or not, Wynter only received a yellow card despite being the last man with Collins through on goal.

John Goddard stepped up to take the spot kick, only to see Danny Potter dart to his left to deny the goal - justice done in the eyes of those believing Wynter’s tackle was a clean one.

From this point onwards, it was largely Borough who dominated proceedings but, as they’ve struggled to do in recent weeks, they managed to make it count this time round.

After 15 minutes, a weaving run from Gary Hart produced a cross that found Simon Johnson in the box. His header tumbled into the bottom right corner to give the home side the advantage with what was their first goal in four games.

Three minutes later and they probably should have doubled their lead through new arrival Jonte Smith, but the striker was unaware of the space and time he had in the box, instead firing the ball wide with his first touch.

Borough’s firepower was bolstered after the break by Elliott Charles, who almost looked back to his pre-injury best and was desperately unlucky not to score - only a blinding save by Louis Wells denying his effort.

The chances all belonged to the Borough, which was why it came as such a surprise when Hayes and Yeading equalised - Kudus Oyenuga capitalising on a lapse in concentration to slide a shot under Potter.

The Priory Lane faithful, who had been very vocal up until that point, were stunned into silence as it seemed two vital points were heading down the drain. That turned out not be the case thanks to young Lok, who won possession before dancing his way through the United defence, capping off his run with a delightful strike. The players huddled together on the final whistle before leaving the pitch to rapturous applause, relieved and safe in the knowledge of a job well done.

Borough: Potter 8, Adelsbury 7, Cole 7, Gorman 6 (Fenwick 70, 7), Wynter 6, Watts 7, Johnson 8, Aldred 7, Jonte Smith 7 (Lok 73, 8), Hart 7 (Charles 60, 8), Raymond 8. Unused subs: Jamie Smith, Rowe

Attendance: 379