Johnson strike seals superb comeback for brilliant Borough

Simon Johnson
Simon Johnson

A superb late strike from Simon Johnson capped an excellent night’s work for Eastbourne Borough at Priory Lane on Tuesday night.

Borough fell a goal behind to a determined and fired up Tonbridge Angels side but a strike from substitute Elliot Levy and a classy last minute finish from Johnson ensured Borough claimed three more points from this enthralling Skrill South encounter.

Tommy Widdrington’s men have now claimed a maximum six points from their opening two matches and will go into Saturday’s game against Ebbsfleet full of confidence.

The Borough boss said, “The work rate of the players tonight was exceptional. Sometimes you take it for granted because you see it every week from them. But tonight We finished very strongly and we deserved to take the three points.

“We played much better in the second half. Weston were tough to break down but after the break we moved the ball around much better. We got in behind them and our final ball was was much better. We could have won by more but I’m happy with 2-1.”

Borough began with plenty of confidence and energy after their 1-0 victory at Weston Super Mare.

Darren Lok showed far too much pace for the Tonbridge defence in the first minute. The striker latched on to a Chris Shephard through ball and his left footed shot was well saved by former Borough ‘keeper Clark Masters.

Borough’s confidence took a real hit in the fifth minute. Former Brighton player Gary Hart gave away a cheap free kick near the touch line.

Nathan Green pumped a long and hopeful ball into the box, Borough keeper Graig Ross, who was so impressive in Weston on Saturday, was no where near the cross and Sonny Miles was left with the easy task of tapping into an open goal from close range.

Borough struggled to impose themselves on the game against a very physical and strong looking Tonbridge midfield.

Shephard looked the player most likely to create for Borough and Tonbridge knew it. He was dealt some harsh treatment and was rarely allowed time to settle on the ball. David Ijaha was booked for the visitors for one crunching tackle on the Borough playmaker.

Shephard however picked himself up and delivered a sublime freekick into the box that somehow eluded everyone at the far post.

Borough flew from the blocks in the second half. Hart played a nice ball through to Simon Johnson who nipped in between the defence and rattled the post with a crisp volley.

A minute later Frankie Raymond swung in a near post corner, Masters struggled to keep it out and Gary Hart bundled the ball over the line. Borough celebrated a goal but the referee blew for a foul on Masters.

Johnson came close again on 67 minutes. Lewis Tallack found space on the right and his cross was met on the run by Johnson but his volley flashed just wide of the near post.

Borough’s goal finally came from substitute Elliot Levy. Raymond’s cross into the box was half cleared and Levy fired a superb shot through a crowd players and into the bottom corner.

Borough piled on the pressure and Johnson’s deserved winner came with virtually the last kick of the match. Tallack once again found some space on the right and picked out Johnson and his first time finish was placed perfectly inside the post.

See Friday’s Herald for full match report and pictures.

Borough: Ross,Tallack, Cole (Gorman 70), Aldred, Simpemba, Watts, Hart (Levy 60), Raymond, Lok, Johnson and Shephard