Inspired Dorchester ‘keeper Matthews denies Borough three points

Only a fantastic performance from Dorchester keeper Jason Matthews denied Eastbourne Borough three points at Priory Lane tonight.

Matthews produced an abundance of flying saves to deny a committed Borough outfit who remain in 18th position in the Blue Square South after tonight’s stalemate.

Tommy Widdrington

Tommy Widdrington

It was a game that had almost everything from great chances, a sending-off and even a 10-minute floodlight failure in the second half.

Boss Tommy Widdrington said, “Twice we have come up against Matthews this season and twice he has performed superbly against us.

“During the floodlight failure I said to the lads, no matter if we win, lose, or draw I will be just as proud of them.

“They were excellent tonight and I would have no problem selecting this 11 again.”

The game was well contested from the off but there was a lack of goalmouth action until 30 minutes.

Matthews was the first to be called into serious action. Left winger Frankie Raymond whipped in a free kick to the far post, it eluded everyone and looked destined for the far corner until Matthews’ late intervention.

Minutes later Borough so-nearly opened the scoring. Jamie Smith caught-out a sleepy Dorchester defence with a quick free kick. Ben Adelsbury advanced from right back and delivered a terrific cross and Gary Hart’s powerful header forced a full-stretch Matthews to finger-tip on to the bar.

Borough goalkeeper Danny Potter proved his worth with a double save on the stroke of halftime. Firstly he denied Nick Crittenden with a low save at the near post and bounced back up from the turf to smother an effort from Sam Malsom.

Borough continued to create chances after the break. Lok whistled an effort narrowly over the bar from 18-yards and Raymond curled one just wide with the outside of his left foot.

Hart lobbed over the advancing Matthews after a great ball from Johnson but the former Brighton man’s effort dropped wide of the post.

Matt Aldred replaced the hardworking Darren Lok and soon had a powerful 25-yard shot well saved. There was a decent shout for a penalty when Hart was bundled over in the box but play was waved on. Dorchester’s Aaron Pugh was sent-off when he received his second yellow after a clash with Hart and the resultant free kick was once again saved by the brilliant Matthews.

Borough were on the attack once again before floodlight failure descended the Lane into darkness for 10 minutes. The lights came back on but neither side could fashion a late winner.

Eastbourne: Potter, Adelsbury, Cole, Gorman, Wynter, Watts, Johnson, Smith, Lok (Aldred 66), Hart, Raymond. Unused subs: Rowe Uddin.

MoM: Gary Hart

Att 341