Heavy weather

Eastbourne Borough v Boreham Wood '17/09/11'celebrating after Matt Crabb's second goal
Eastbourne Borough v Boreham Wood '17/09/11'celebrating after Matt Crabb's second goal

By Ken McEwan

at priory Lane

BOSS Garry Wilson admitted his frustration after watching his side take a 3-0 half-time lead, only to allow league strugglers Boreham Wood back in the game in a bizarre second half.

Home fans were hoping for a massive goal difference boost as Borough bossed the opening 45 minutes with periods of delightful attacking football at Priory Lane on Saturday.

But in the end they could easily have ended up sharing the spoils as the visitors scored twice and missed a great late chance of levelling the game.

In fairness to Borough there were mitigating circumstances in abundance. Former Eastbourne keeper Michael Jordan made two top drawer saves in the second half and just moments before the visitors made it 3-2, there had been drama at the other end where the match officials missed a blatant foul on Gary Hart a yard outside the area as the former Brighton striker striker steamed goalwards. A strong wind also played its part.

Despite three welcome points, there were few smiles after the game when raised voices were heard emerging from the dressing-room.

Said Wilson, “I was frustrated at the inconsistency we showed over the 90 minutes. When we show our true quality we are on a different level, but we have got to show more consistency. With players returning after injury we are getting stronger and over a period of time I think we will find that consistency. With consistency in selection we will get consistency in performance.”

Borough got off to a dream start with two goals in the opening nine minutes.

Just a minute was on the clock when Matt Crabb’s inswinging free-kick from the right found the net after taking a slight deflection off defender Charlie Hunter.

Seven minutes later, Gary Hart, making his home league debut, back-headed Gary Charman’s long throw for Crabb to make it 2-0.

Crabb was again showing fine form with his immaculate dead ball kicking and near flawless distribution and it seemed Wilson’s men had the game well and truly wrapped up when Eddie Hutchinson headed home the winger’s corner via the underside of the bar on the stroke of half-time.

Borough went all out to pile on the agony in the second half and Jordan denied his old club a fourth when he performed wonders to push a Sam Cole thunderbolt round the post.

A delicate ball from Crabb gave Simon Johnson a chance, but the midfielder hesitated and was robbed by a late Luke Wilkinson challenge.

In the 57th minute Wilkinson was in action at the other end when he took advantage of poor defensive work to make it 3-1 from just inside the area. Wood now had a sniff of a point and were fortunate to be right back in the game in the 72nd minute. First Wilkinson might well have been shown a red card when he sent Hart sprawling a yard outside the area.

Instead, play swept to the other end where keeper Rikki Banks upended sub Simeon Akinola . The keeper redeemed himself as he dived to push Hunter’s spot kick to the left, but another sub, Ollie Palmer, was first to react, finding the back of the net from an acute angle.

Gary Elphick’s close range effort was saved by Jordan who pulled off another amazing save as he changed direction to tip a Hutchinson header over the bar.

But Borough were denied that elusive fourth goal and could easily have seen their maximum points tally reduced to one in the dying minutes when David Bryant lifted the ball over the bar from 12 yards.