FA Cup replay match report Eastbourne Borough v Hendon

Darren Lok was on target in Hendon
Darren Lok was on target in Hendon

Eastbourne Borough were knocked out of the FA Cup in dramatic circumstances at Hendon this evening.

The Sports were 1-0 up after Darren Lok gave them an extra-time lead but 10-men Hendon scored twice in the last 10 minutes to send Tommy Widdrington’s side packing and set-up a fourth preliminary round tie with either Histon or Corby.

It was heartbreak for Borough who looked to have found a safe passage to the next round during a largely uneventful match-up in North London.

Borough, who once again left captain Ollie Rowe on the bench, enjoyed a large chunk of possession throughout but rarely did they show the guile to trouble the home rearguard.

There was little to note in terms of action and any scouts deployed from Histon or Corby would have seen little of concern. However, the game exploded into life as soon as the referee signalled the start of extra-time.

Lok, who came on as 70th minute replacement for Gary Hart, once again proved a real threat from the bench and scored a fine individual goal.

Borough comfortably saw out the first period and were looking nailed on favourites when home skipper Scott Cousins received a straight red card.

But the FA Cup is littered with shock comebacks and Hendon were to provide the twist in this tale when Michael Murray slammed home a penalty on 120 minutes.

A penalty shoot-out looked the most likely outcome but the home side rallied and found a fine winner when Isiah Rankin turned and powered a shot into the top corner from the edge of the box.

The goal earned Hendon the £7,500 prize money and leaves them just 90 minutes away from the first round proper.

For Borough it was another long bus journey back to East Sussex with plenty of time for boss Widdrington to ponder where it all went wrong.

Borough: Jordan, Hamilton, Cole, Adelsbury, Obaze (Remy 60), Uddin, Adams, Johnson, Hart (Lok 70), Gorman, Shephard