Eastbourne Borough run out of steam in Sutton

Chris Shephard in action against Sutton United
Chris Shephard in action against Sutton United

By Stephen Kent

Sutton United notched up a third successive win against Eastbourne Borough as they stormed to a 4-0 victory in front of a crowd of 1,000 at the Borough Sports Ground in South London.

From kick-off it was the home side that dominated early play, with the Sports seeing very little of the ball as the U’s kept pressing in midfield.

It only took Sutton six minutes to net their first goal, a stunning solo effort from Jamie Taylor shooting from just outside the box and finding the top-right corner.

Borough struggled to retain possession 12 minutes later Taylor pounced once again, taking advantage of a rare Craig Ross mistake when the keeper misjudged the bounce of a Sutton long ball, allowing the striker to complete his double in front of an open goal.

Sutton continued to run riot in their opponent’s half until Boro had what was easily their best chance of the game.

After along ball was headed around in the box, it fell kindly at the feet of Darren Lok who scuffed his opportunity to reduce the deficit, shooting just left of the post.

When the teams resumed Borough had two half-chances to get on the score sheet, a long range effort from Adam Watts was shot into the gloves of Tom Lovelock and a Lewis Tallack free-kick from the left was also easily dealt with once again by the Sutton keeper.

However any chance of the visitors salvaging a point from the game was dealt a harsh blow when substitute Kane Haysman provided a simple finish when the ball fell to him from being scrambled around in the box after no Borough player was able to provide the clearance.

The final nail in the coffin for the visitors came at the 85th courtesy of Dean McDonald who bounded past several defenders and finished with a cracking strike past Ross into the top-left corner.

After the game Borough manager Tommy Widdrington was quick to admit that; “It’s not a case of we could of scored, we should of scored!

“The game hinged on two massive incidents, the first being Darren’s (Lok) excellent chance to peg us back, I don’t know how from that distance he missed the target, but these things sometimes happen.

“Craig (Ross) has had a great season so far and he got caught out from nowhere, so from us potentially being 1-1, we were 2-0 down and it’s very hard to come back from that.”

Widdrington was also quick to mention the effects of the FA Cup replay heroics at Farnborough last Tuesday; “I can’t knock the lads effort, we just came up against a side that are doing well at the moment and didn’t have to play the extra midweek game that we did, that trip took a bit more out of some of the lads than others.”

Borough – Ross, Tallack, Gorman, Aldred (Stinson 85’), Simpemba ©, Watts, Garrod (Hart 55’), Raymond (Cole 74’), Lok, Johnson, Shephard.

Sutton - Lovelock, Nelson (Folkes 79’), Fuseini, Stuart ©, Downer, McDonald, Riviere (Scannell ‘79), Dundas, Slabber, Taylor (Haysman ‘43), Binns.

Goals – Taylor 6’ 18’, Haysman 65’, McDonald 85’

Attendance – 1,021