Committed Borough display earns point against play-off chasing Boreham Wood

Eastbourne Borough are all but safe from the drop into the Ryman League after their 1-1 draw against Boreham Wood at Priory Lane on Tuesday night.

Two second half goals in the space of two minutes ensured both sides gained a point from an entertaining clash at Priory Lane.

Elliott Charles

Elliott Charles

Borough top scorer Elliott Charles headed them into a 1-0 lead on 54 minutes but Boreham Wood’s Michael Thalassitis equalised almost from the re-start.

The result moved Borough up to 15th and seven points above the drop zone. While a point just about keeps Boreham’s play-off hopes alive.

Borough boss Tommy Widdrington said, “I’m happy that we didn’t lose the game but I’m disappointed we conceded so quickly after scoring.

“I thought we were very evenly matched against a side pushing towards the play-offs and my lads stood up manfully. We repelled almost everything they throw at us and looked a threat going forward. I’m really pleased for the players and I can’t grumble.”

Boreham had the first chance as early as second minute. Gary Hart was booked for foul on Boreham skipper Luke Garrard but Greg Morgan’s freekick was drilled into the wall.

Young striker Darren Lok was a real live wire up front for Borough and it was his persistence that fashioned a shooting chance for Jamie Smith but the former Dover man fired over from 25 yards.

The visitors came closest to opening the scoring on 27 minutes. The Borough defence failed to deal with a deep corner and Callum Reynolds crashed a left-footed effort against the bar.

Smith had Borough’s final chance of an even first half. Lok won a freekick after Ben Adelsbury’s cross but once again Smith’s 25-yard effort sailed harmlessly over the bar.

After a subdued start to the second half, two goals arrived in two minutes.

Firstly Charles headed Borough into a 1-0 lead on 54 minutes from Sam Cole’s cross. But on 55 minutes Boreham Wood’s Michael Thalassitis levelled after a lapse in concentration at the back.

Cliff Akurang whistled an effort just wide of Danny Potter’s post as did Graeme Montgomery on 73 minutes.

Boreham Wood, eager to keep in the running for a play-off spot, piled on the pressure and forced numerous corners but failed to seriously test Potter in the Borough goal.

Lok, who has scored so many late goals this season, had the best chance to sneak a winner. Charles rose well in the box and nodded down for Lok but the young striker couldn’t get a decent connection and the chance went begging.

See Friday’s Herald for full match report, reaction and pictures.

Eastbourne Borough: Potter, Adelsbury, Cole, Hart, Rowe, Watts, Johnson (Gorman 60), Aldred, Charles, Lok, Jamie Smith (Fenwick 78).

Subs not used: Uddin, Smith, Ehui

Boreham Wood: Russell, Garrard, Jones (Hastings 70), Moone, O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Morgan, Isaac, Thalassitis, Akurang, Montgomery.

Subs not used: Benn Nunn, Pires,Doolan, Knight.

MoM: Gary Hart

Referee: M Pottage