Borough end losing streak in fine style in last home game of the season

Darren Lok was on target against Hayes and Yeading
Darren Lok was on target against Hayes and Yeading

Eastbourne Borough ended a run of five successive defeats with a tense 3-1 win over struggling Hayes and Yeading on Easter Monday at Priory Lane.

Although the quality of the football at times left much to be desired, the 602 spectators were treated to three of the best goals seen at Priory Lane this season.

There was an early scare for Borough when keeper Craig Ross completely missed Andrew Musunga’s corner but newly selected supporter’s player of the season Ian Simpemba was on hand to clear the danger.

Borough were having problems coping with the pace of Niall McManus who might have scored twice in the opening quarter of an hour but was wide of the mark on both occasions.

Hayes had another good chance on 23 minutes when an unmarked Dean Inmann headed a McManus corner wide of the post.

Borough went ahead in the 28th minute with a goal out of the blue.

James Stinson almost lost his footing after winning a tackle on the right but recovered to cut in and curl a classic 25 yarder into the far corner.

There was high drama at the start of the second half after Ross made a great save to deny McManus.

In the 56nd minute a poor clearance from Adam Everitt ran to Simon Johnson who hit a stunning drive from 40 yards that rocketed into the roof of the net.

Borough were in dreamland but justa minute later Pat Cox headed Jeff Mitchell’s cross on the bounce past Ross to but the visitors right back in the game.

But Borough’s defence stood firm against constant pressure and three minutes from time Darren Lok, who replaced the injured Chris Shephard at half-time, picked his spot beautifully from 20 yards to seal a welcome victory for Borough in their last home game of the season.

Borough: Ross, Stinson (Deaman 68), Cole, Gorman, Simbemba, Rowe, Derry, Raymond, Hammond (Aldred 82) Johnson, Shephard (Lok 45)

Unused subs: Welch, Worrall.

MoM: Simon Johnson

Referee: Mr C Hatzidakis

Att: 602