Borough couldn’t hit back after a bizarre first half

Eastbourne Borough
Eastbourne Borough
Share this article

For the first time this season this young Eastbourne Borough side are experiencing something of a wobble.

Tommy Widdrington’s men followed up Saturday’s 3-0 defeat at Chelmsford with a 4-0 home defeat against a decent looking Dover Athletic in the Skrill South on Tuesday night.

The visitors took a deserved lead on 13 minutes. Tom Murphy found space in the box and his low effort had too much power and flew beyond Graig Ross.

Three minutes later and it was 2-0. Borough’s defence was breached far too easily as Ricky Modeste turned in the box and finished well.

A poor start turned into a nightmare on 24 minutes as Dover midfielder Barry Cogan scored direct from a corner to make it 3-0.

Borough offered a few foray forward and Simon Johnson had the best chance to score but his angled effort from close range failed to trouble Mitch Walker in the Dover goal.

A single goal before the break would have given Widdrington’s men a sniff of a chance in the second half.

And it almost arrived on 44 minutes. Gary Hart crossed from the right and with Darren Lok set to pounce, the ball looped off defender Shaun Raggett’s foot and onto the bar.

After the defeat at Chelmsford, boss Widdrington said he refused to ‘rant and rave’ at the players.

However, his new style of calm management would have been severely tested during his half-time pep talk following a woeful first half display.

Borough did show some attacking intent for the first 10 minutes of the second period.

Hart flashed an effort inches over the bar before Lok burst through the middle and was about to shoot before Terrell Forbes’ timely interception - bizarrely a goal kick was awarded.

Borough’s spell of pressure was short lived. On 67 minutes Adam Watts hauled down Cogan in the box, and Cogan, a guy who scored direct from a corner, never looked like missing from the spot and easily made it 4-0.

Hart was replaced by Tony Garrod, Levy was sent on for Raymond and club captain Ollie Rowe was given a run on the right in place of Lewis Tallack.

Former Borough striker Elliott Charles came on for the last 12 minutes and a goal from him would have been a painful last blow.

It no nearly came on 84 minutes when he was through on goal but his powerful low drive was well saved by Ross.

Eastbourne Borough: Ross, Tallack (Rowe 70), Gorman, Aldred, Simpemba, Watts, Hart (Garrod 67), Raymond (Levy 57), Lok, Johnson, Cole.

Subs not used: Stinson, Bown

Dover Athletic: Walker, Stone, Wynter, Kinnear, Raggett, Forbes, Modeste (Bellamy 70), Rogers, Elder (Charles 78), Cogan (Ademola 80), Murphy.

Subs not used: Kamara, Bakare.

MOM: Darren Lok - never gave up

Referee: Mr J O’Brien

Att: 488