A big win – Wilson

editorial image
Share this article

A big win for Eastbourne Borough Football Club was how Garry Wilson described their FA Trophy victory over Dorchester Town at Priory Lane on Tuesday night.

Boro’ progressed through to the last 16 of the FA Trophy with a convincing display against their Blue Square South opponents.

A second half goal by Richard Pacquette (pictured) sealed the tie for Wilson’s men who should have won by a more convincing margin.

The reward for their battling display is a home draw against Guiseley AFC on February 6.

An upbeat Wilson beamed, “We absolutely hammered them. We were on top and if one of the early chances had gone in it would have been a lot more comfortable.

“We put ourselves under pressure because we did not take our chances and at some point the opposition are going to come into the game.

“It was an important night for this football club. We had the opportunity to get into the last 16 with a home draw facing us in the next round.

“I’m pleased for the lads; it has been a tough run but the spirit of the squad is still very strong.”

Boro’ forced the replay courtesy of a late Neil Jenkins equaliser at the Avenue Stadium last Saturday and on Tuesday Boro’ looked to take full advantage.

They began well and created numerous chances but were denied by a combination of fine goal keeping from Regan Coward and wayward finishing.

Pacquette squandered the first chance for Boro’ after just four minutes when he shot straight at the keeper from close range and Matt Smart slipped as he attempted to guide home the rebound.

Moments later Coward denied Jamie Taylor before Ethan Strevett and Steve Brinkhurst both missed opportunities.

Boro’ continued to dominate and it seemed as though it was going to be one of those frustrating nights when Taylor, Pacquette and Matt Crabb all wasted chances.

Strevett arrowed a shot wide after the break when he should have tested the keeper and Pacquette was unlucky when his instinctive lob from Jenkins’ pass rebounded off the post.

The visitors replaced Jay Stockley with Rico Wilson and that sparked their best period of play.

Nick Crittenden toe-poked wide after he wriggled his way into the box while veteran defender Darren Baker was at his best to deny Wilson with a tremendous block.

Gary Bowles was desperately unlucky to see his 20-yard left footed strike rattle the woodwork on 72 minutes.

But Boro’ weathered the storm and finally took the lead on 76 minutes. The impressive Crabb surged forward and picked out Taylor whose mis-hit effort fell to Pacquette who simply couldn’t miss from close range.

After the goal the visitors lost their discipline and Neil Martin received a second yellow for a bad challenge on Jamie Taylor.

Dorchester provided a few anxious moments towards the end with a couple of set pieces in dangerous positions.

But the free kick deliveries were poor and Boro’ held out for their first clean sheet since November 13.

BOROUGH: Banks 6, Nelson 7, Austin 6, Baker 7, Jenkins 6, Brinkhurst 6, Smart 6, (Johnson 73) Strevett 7, M Crabb 8, Taylor 6, Pacquette 6 (N Crabb 78).

Subs not used: Norwood, Weatherstone, Barton. Booked: Pacquette, N Crabb.

MOM: Matt Crabb - back to his creative best.

DORCHESTER: Coward, Critchell, Bowles, Walker, Martin, Crittenden, Jermyn, Gleeson (Smeeton 88), Coutts, Moss, Stockley (Wilson 52) subs not used: Vickers, Suttle. Booked: Martin, Bowles Sent off: Martin. Referee: Matt Stewart (Suffiolk) Attendance: 487