Danny’s the boy as brace extends Town unbeaten run

Danny Curd
Danny Curd

A brace of goals from Danny Curd means Eastbourne Town extend their unbeaten run to five.

Town’s impressive away form, and the return from injury of forward Danny Curd, means boss Danny Bloor now fears no-one in Ryman Division One South.

Boss Danny Bloor said, “We haven’t had him all season and that’s why we’re not where we should be. If we can keep this squad injury free, I don’t fear anyone in this league.”

Curd struck in the 16th minute capitalising on hesitancy in the Chipstead defence before sliding the ball past ‘keeper Steve Northwood.

Town went close to doubling their lead five minutes later when a knock-back from centre-half, Tom Graves, at the far-post evaded everyone and floated out of danger after an excellent Geard delivery.

However, just seconds before the break, Curd latched onto a Matt Geard lay-off in the box and skipped past a defender to rifle in to make it 2-0 to the visitors.

Chipstead were brighter in the second-half and Marcus Cassius worked Kieron Thorp in the Town goal when he was allowed to fire in a shot that Thorp parried in the 51st minute.

Thorp was twice called into action in the 73rd minute when Chipstead skipper, Jason Goodchild, sent a low cross in from the byline which Thorp smothered with his feet.

The resulting out-swinging corner was freely met by Matt York whose bullet header was blocked at point-blank as Thorp saved well with his feet again.

This was a warning for Town and, with five minute remaining, Chipstead scored with a superb free-kick. Just yards outside the box, York sent a sweet right-footed strike past Thorp to make it 2-1.

Town hit back at the hosts with their own free-kick just four minutes later.

Geard’s 25-yard curling effort deflected off the top of the wall and wrong-footed Northwood to make it 3-1 and Town seemingly comfortable.

However, Chipstead made it 3-2 in injury-time when Goodchild intercepted a soft Sam Crabb back-pass to slot home. Town held on to complete a season double over the Surrey side.

Bloor said it was difficult going in at half-time with a 2-0 lead. He said, “It’s one of my least favourite score-lines because whoever scores next gets the impetus. Sometimes you’re better off leading 1-0 so the players will concentrate more.”

This was the first of a triplet of games for Town this week, as they face home clashes with Godalming Town on Tuesday and then Sussex rivals, Burgess Hill Town on Friday.

Bloor says his side is especially looking forward to both games but especially the first after being minutes away from victory against Godalming at home in December, only for floodlight failure to abandon proceedings with Town leading 2-1.

Town: Thorp 8, Denton 8, Storrie 8, Elliot 8, Graves 8, May 8, Davidson 8, Crabb 8, Curd 8 (Kessack 74’), Percival 8 (Bichard 67’), Geard 8 (Brooks 90+2’) Subs not used: Masters, Fogden Booked: Geard, Graves Referee: Ben Wright

Attendance: 84

MoM: Matt Geard – scored and delivered dangerously from set-pieces