Cup interest is over as Town crash to Casuals

Richard Greenfield
Richard Greenfield

Eastbourne Town’s cup exploits for the season came to an end on Tuesday, as Corinthian Casuals dumped them out of the League Cup.

In an open and entertaining contest, each side looked to get forward at every opportunity and, as a consequence, chances were plentiful.

The home sides opening salvo was repelled with visiting ‘keeper, Callum Christie, making a couple of good early saves.

At the other end, Dean Brooks’ fine effort, from a sublime Richard Greenfield pass, was brilliantly saved by Matt Mann in the home goal.

Midway through the opening period, Owen Kessack saved Town from going behind by clearing off the line and, within minutes, the lively Nathan Crabb was thwarted at the other end when Hicks stopped the diminutive forward’s effort from crossing their goal line.

It was almost ‘blow or blow’ but the hosts held the upper hand during the first half, outscoring the visitors on the corner count by 11 to 1.

As half time approached, the hosts did indeed take the lead when Dave Hodges was played into the Town area. The Casual’s big striker managed to beat Christie’s despairing dive to find the bottom left corner of the goal to open the scoring.

The opening part of the second half was all Eastbourne Town as they pressed for an equaliser.

Following good play between Brooks and Greenfield (pictured), the speedy winger’s fizzing effort was cleared for a corner.

Brooks then hit the post and Fogden forced the rebound narrowly wide as Town maintained a good tempo to their play.

The Brooks - Greenfield partnership again combined well to put Nathan Crabb in, but, from the best move of the match, he shot wide of the far stick.

At the other end, against the run of play, Christie saved bravely from a home attack. On 65 minutes the experienced Danny Simmonds, boss Danny Bloor’s assistant, was replaced by the promising Max Hollebone.

However, within five minutes Town found themselves two down following the harsh award of a penalty.

Baker-Dixon’s strong shoulder charge felled his opponent and the assistant referee waved for a foul.

The big defender received a yellow card for his infringement but a bigger blow came from Ross Defoe’s boot, as he dispatched the penalty kick with glee.

Despite the introduction of Gianlucca Del-Gaudio and Storrie, Town were unable to breach the home defence and the hosts saw out the remainder of the game to qualify for the next round of the Alan Boon League Cup.

With 10 players unavailable for this cup tie due to injury or suspension, further injuries injuries to Adam Davidson and Scott Kirkwood left Danny Bloor with huge selection problems leading up to their league game with Bognor Regis Town this weekend.

TOWN: Christie 7, Davidson 6 (Storrie 73), Kessack 6, Baker Dixon 6, Fogden 6, Simmonds 6 (Hollobone 65), Kirkwood 6, Greenfield 8, Brooks 7, N Crabb 6, Geard 6 (Del Guadio 80).

MOM: Greenfield - lively