Crabb brothers on target as Town impress on the road

Eastbourne Town boss Danny Bloor said at times the football his men played at Whyteleafe was ‘in a different league’ as they claimed their first three points of the campaign.

Town hit back from their 1-0 home defeat on the opening day of the season against Sittingbourne thanks to a goal apiece from Crabb brothers Nathan and Sam alongside a strike from Luke Denton.

Town were 3-0 up with 18 minutes remaining but two defensive errors allowed the hosts back in the game.

Bloor said, “It should have been a 3-0 victory but we made two schoolboy errors. The scoreline suggests a closer match than it was.

“We were by far the better team and at times the football we played was superb. We were in another league to Whyteleafe.”

On a greasy pitch, following late afternoon rain, the early honours were shared, with each side keen to press forward.

On the half hour mark Town almost took the lead when, following good build up play from Luke Denton, centre back Nick Fogden’s 30 yard piledriver smashed against the bar.

In reply, Whyteleafe forced a good save from Kieran Thorp in the visitor’s goal, when he palmed a shot from Agyei over the crossbar.

Parity was broken by a devastating two goals in four minute. On 35 minutes, Town skipper, Greg Manton played to Matt Geard on the edge of the box and his delightful, defence splitting lob was weighted perfectly for Nathan Crabb to notch his first league goal for Town. Within a few minutes his brother, Sam, netted easily at the far post following a well worked Town move from the right. Nathan Crabb then had a good penalty appeal waved away as the visitors finished the half strongly.

The second period again saw Town in dominant mood, with the lively Nathan Crabb just missing the far post with a curling shot from the edge of the box. With the match being played at a very high tempo, Town went further ahead on 60 minutes when Luke Denton met a pin point cross from Matt Geard, following some excellent play from the wideman. Having been involved in all three goals, Geard was having a big influence on the Town performance along with Stacy Freeman in the centre of the park.

A double substitution by home boss, Nicky English, prompted a grandstand finish from Whyteleafe.

Having been outplayed for most of the match, the home side reduced the arrears on 71 minutes when, after a lapse in concentration by the Town rearguard, Agyei was given time and space to beat Thorp.

This spurred the hosts on and they laid siege to the Town goal, scoring again on 90 minutes when Fleming knocked the ball home after a free kick had rebounded from the bar.

Eastbourne negotiated the five minutes extra without any further mishap and closed the game out to record their first league win of the season.

TOWN: Thorp 6, Davidson 6, May 7, G.Manton (c) 6, Fogden 6, Freeman 8, Kirkwood 6, S,Crabb 7, Denton 7, N.Crabb 7, Geard 7 (B.Manton 66)

Subs not used: Brooks, Elstead, Masters, Godfrey MoM: Stacy Freeman powerful midfield performance from the youngster. Att: 82

Kids for free at the Saffrons

TOWN will hope to build on Tuesday’s result when the travel to Croydon Athletic on Saturday.

On Monday children can watch Town for free when they welcome County League champions Crawley Down to the Saffrons.

Bloor will be hoping the Crabb brothers continue their good start to the season.

He added, “They are both a pleasure to work with. They are A1.”