Blistering start for United boss Rowland

Adam Kneller challenges for the ball in United's opening game against Rustington
Adam Kneller challenges for the ball in United's opening game against Rustington

Eastbourne United go into this weekend’s FA Cup tie in high spirits following their stunning 6-1 opening day County League division two victory against Rustington.

The speed in which a squad of almost entirely new players have gelled will provide encouragement for boss Simon Rowland as they travel to Kent Hurliman Premier Division outfit Lordswood tomorrow.

Their opponents are effectively a league above United but the manager believes the weekend’s performance means a result is not beyond them.

“I knew we had a lot of good individuals but I think I underestimated how good players can adapt to playing with other good players.

“The thing that pleased me most about Saturday’s game was the type of football we played. Two of the goals came from superb, one-touch football and we carved them open on a few occasions.”

“ I’m going into this game to give it a real go and we’re well prepared. If we can mirror 80 per cent of the good things we did on Saturday and improve the other 20 per cent then we’ve a good chance.

“If we can get a draw and get them back to our place it will be a fantastic result.”

Rowland has the luxury of picking from a fully-fit squad and is expected to name an almost identical side, with the exception of Wes Tate who is expected to make his United debut.

Striker Ryan McBride, who impressed on his own debut against Rustington, despite a contentious sending off, is also available as his three-match suspension is yet to start.

See Tuesday’s Gazette for match reports and reaction for all the local football.