Woman watched in horror brutal Hampden Park attack, court hears

A woman watched in horror as she saw Hampden Park dog owner, Chris Poole, brutally attacked, a court has heard.

As the Chris Poole murder trial enters its second day today, the jury was told yesterday that witness Micky Geakin was standing on the balcony of her flat in Ross Court in The Hydneye when she saw accused Shane Noble punch the unsuspecting Mr Poole to the side of the head.

She told police officers she had earlier seen Mr Poole and a 15-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, squaring up to each other outside the Premier convenience shop.

The teenager and Noble both deny murdering Mr Poole on the night of August 16 last year.

They are both on trial at Lewes Crown Court for the death of the Poundland manager, from Iden Street, who died from his injuries the following day.

Ms Geakin said it looked like there was an argument going on between Mr Poole, who she knew, and the teenager and she heard the 15-year-old call out to Shane Noble who was on a balcony in Fife Cout to help.

Prosecutor Matthew Former told the jury, “She saw Shane Noble come out of Fife Court walking fast towards Mr Poole with his fist clenched and smacking his fist into his hand.

“Mr Poole didn’t see him approaching and after the punch he went flying backwards and she saw him struggling to get to his feet. She ran down into the street so did not see any further attack.

“Other witnesses did see though and described Shane Noble kicking Mr Poole in the head.

“Miss Geakin saw Mr Poole effectively dying on the ground in a pool of blood. She says Shane Noble then started ranting at Mr Poole as he lay on the floor.

“It appears Shane Noble considered himself part of a young crowd whose territory was around the Premier store.”

Miss Geakin shouted for an ambulance to be called and the 15-year-old youth’s father poured some water over Mr Poole in an attempt to wake him up.

An ambulance arrived and paramedics tried to revive Mr Poole but he had suffered severe damage to the artery between his neck and brain and died the following day.

Mr Farmer said on August 17 Noble heard Mr Poole had died and handed himself in at the police station and the 15-year-old was arrested soon after.

The jury has also heard from Bayrum Sahindal, the Turkish owner of the Premier store who is known locally as Barry.

Giving evidence from behind a screen and with the help of a translator, Mr Bayrum said he was working in his shop on August 16 when customer Shane Bryant called him for help after a disturbance broke out between Mr Poole and a group of youths.

He said he stood in between the 15-year-old and Mr Poole and told them to stop.

Earlier the jury was told how Noble had first punched Mr Poole and then kicked him in the head and the 15-year-old had also assaulted him.

The trial continues.