Dog owners are being urged to keep their pets on a lead when walking near the Cuckmere River following the death of a dog that went swimming in the water this week.
Green Street Pets posted a message on Facebook on Tuesday (October 6) to say a dog had been taken ill after swimming in the Cuckmere River, near to where the canoes launch, and unfortunately died the following day due to ingesting toxins.
The post, which also advised people to not let their dogs swim in the water, was shared more than 2,300 times.
Seaford Town Councillor Phillip Boorman contacted the Environment Agency, which said it would investigate and see what could be done to prevent it happening again.
Cllr Boorman said: “The Environment Agency collected water samples for scientific analysis, but said the toxins were unlikely to be caused by algae due to the weather, temperature and depth of the water, which is not suitable for growth. In the meantime, please keeps your dog on a lead around this area.
“If there are any related incidents in line with this one, then please do not hesitate to call me on 07951813014.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.