Warning over jellyfish - don’t believe the old wives’ tale!

No Caption ABCDE
No Caption ABCDE

Following warnings from the Marine Conservation Society of increasing numbers of jellyfish along Britain’s coastline, the British Red Cross is warning beach-goers not to trust the old myth that fresh urine is the best treatment for jellyfish stings.

With the recent hot weather increasing sightings of moon, compass, blue and lion’s mane jellyfish, the chances of bathers having a painful encounter with the floating creatures are increasing.

“A sting from a jellyfish can be extremely painful, but trying to treat it with urine isn’t going to make your day any better,” said Joe Mulligan, British Red Cross head of first aid.

“Urine just doesn’t have the right chemical make-up to solve the problem.”

Instead, a better source of treatment is even easier at hand: salty seawater.

“If people have been stung, they need to get out of the water to avoid getting stung again. Once out, slowly pouring seawater over the sting will help ease the pain,” said Joe.

“Doing the same thing with vinegar can be even more effective as the acid helps neutralise the jellyfish sting. But, unless you’re near a chip shop, seawater will probably be easier to find.”

For more easy to follow first aid advice visit www.redcross.org.uk/firstaidtips or download the free Red Cross first aid app http://www.redcross.org.uk/app