Van fire puts dampener on new service

Staff at an Eastbourne practice were dealt a blow after a van being used for a new service went up in flames.

A new home visiting facility was launched by St Anne’s Veterinary Group and began last week but the vehicle used for the project caught fire yesterday (Monday).

The Kangoo van was parked outside the premises in St Anne’s Road and a fire crew raced to the scene to put the flames out after receiving a call at 6.50am.

The team at St Anne’s Veterinary Group is currently making do with another vehicle for the My Visiting Vet service and will have to wait weeks for a replacement vehicle. The idea of the service is to provide home visits and reduce some of the stress of a pet being ill as often the journey to the vets with an anxious animal can be daunting.

Jim Dash, one of the partners at St Anne’s Veterinary Group, said no equipment was ruined as a result of the blaze.

He adding, “It’s an electrical fault. The cleaner moved it out to get ready to go and it caught fire.

“The vehicle was fully equipped with handwashing and things like that, we don’t have this in our existing ambulance and will have to wait until the new vehicle arrives. So with things like hand washing we will have to rely on the owners.

“It’s all the work that went into advertising it and setting it up and suddenly it’s on hold for two or three weeks [until we get the new vehicle].

“The main thing is no-one was hurt.”

Firefighters arrived at the scene at 6.55am and put the flames out. They left shortly before 7.20am.

No-one was inside the van at the time of the fire and no-one was injured.