Two men have been arrested on suspicion of kidnap and unlawful possession of a firearm following an incident in Eastbourne on Sunday night.
Armed police were called to an address in Wakehurst Road, off Lottbridge Drove, on Sunday evening.
Residents said there was police activity in the area throughout Sunday night and Monday and a property searched.
Police said two men aged 49 and 38 were arrested on suspicion of kidnap of two women known to them and unlawful possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear.
The 49-year old was also arrested on suspicion of assault causing actual bodily harm to one of the women on a previous occasion, possession of an offensive weapon, and possession of cannabis
An address in Wakehurst Road was subsequently searched as part of the ongoing investigation.
No firearm has so far been recovered but offensive weapons including a knuckleduster and a flick knife were seized from a car.
After being interviewed the 49-year-old man was released on police bail until October while enquiries continue, and the 38-year-old man was released under investigation.