Tributes paid to Paul Bigsby

Paul Bigsby died aged 29 of testicular cancer SUS-150619-114005001
Paul Bigsby died aged 29 of testicular cancer SUS-150619-114005001

Tributes have been paid to a 29-year-old Eastbourne man who lost his three-and-a-half-year battle with testicular cancer.

Paul Bigsby, a former West Rise and Willingdon School pupil, died on May 28 and his funeral was held at Eastbourne Crematorium on Thursday (June 19).

His mother Brenda Bigsby said she was overwhelmed by the number of people who had come to the funeral and said it showed how popular and well-liked Paul was.

She said, “He would have been so impressed with the whole send off.

“It is testament to the person he was. He was such a lovely man.”

Paul went to the doctors when he found a lump and was diagnosed with testicular cancer on November 29, 2012. His mother Brenda, a nurse, spoke to the Herald about the importance of raising awareness and encouraging men to check their bodies.

Brenda said, “There is lots and lots of awareness about women’s health and breast cancer but not as much about testicular cancer and I think men are not as good at checking and going to the doctor.

“Paul actually did exactly the right thing and went straight to the doctor but unfortunately it was on the late side.

“I would advise people, men and women, to check themselves and to go to the doctors and if they are not happy with what the doctor says to go back and put pressure on until something is done.”

Despite undergoing extensive treatment, including multiple rounds of chemotherapy, Paul’s cancer spread and he was told his condition was terminal.

Before being diagnosed as terminal, Paul married Claire in Cyprus in May 2014 and the couple enjoyed a year of married life.

Brenda said, “It was a wonderful day and they had about 70 people there for the wedding which was amazing for a wedding abroad.”

Paul worked for Southern. He had many promotions during his career on the railways and was one of the youngest managers for the firm. He was revenue protection manager before he died.

Paul was also very involved in football in Eastbourne. He ran the under 18s team at Eastbourne Borough and helped with the reserve teams at the ground in Priory Lane.

The popular 29-year-old also leaves his sister Leanne and father Bob.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make our website your homepage at

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.