Tributes are paid to police stalwart

Alan Davey is retiring after 45 years' service
Alan Davey is retiring after 45 years' service

FRIENDS from across Sussex Police have paid tribute to a retiring colleague who has given 45 years of his working life to the force.

Sixty-nine-year-old Alan Davey worked as an officer in Eastbourne and Hailsham and more recently as case director for the police working with the Crown Prosecution Service in the St Leonard’s Road office reviewing case files.

Born in Kingston-upon-Thames, Alan moved to Sussex when he joined the police service in March 1966 and was posted to patrol in Hailsham when the station was at the junction of Battle Road and London Road.

He went onto become a detective in 1970, was promoted to detective sergeant in 1975 and moved to the CID office at Eastbourne where he remained for 13 years.

Alan was involved in numerous high profile investigations, was an acting detective inspector and in late 1988, was asked to take charge of the CID office back at Hailsham where he stayed for five years.

He then took up a post within the Criminal Justice department at Eastbourne until his retirement in February 1997 having been a warranted officer for 31 years.

He joined as a support staff worker at Eastbourne and was involved in the preparation of files for magistrates courts at Eastbourne, Hastings and Lewes and crown courts at Lewes and Hove.

In September 2003 Alan became a case director.

Among the cases Alan worked on – and was commended by the Chief Constable for – during his lengthy police career was for the arrest and conviction of an arsonist in 1976 who started a number of house fires and was eventually sent to Broadmoor indefinitely.

He also led a team of team of detectives which saw 11 men charged with more than 200 offences connected with break-ins and thefts at luxury houses and in the 1980s began a lengthy investigation into the death of a Belgian man whose badly mutilated body was found on the beach near to the Wish Tower, and was believed to fallen from a ferry.

Alan worked with detectives from Bruges and two men and a woman were later convicted of his murder by a Belgian court.

He was also commended after an armed robbery at a building society in Eastbourne in February 1988.

He and a colleague spotted a suspect, stopped their car to speak to him and were threatened with a gun.

The two overpowered the man, who was arrested and later found to have committed a series of armed robberies across London.

He also received a Coroner’s Commendation following his 1977 investigation into the death of a girl at Beachy Head and a further commendation for his work and preparation on the court file in relation to the arrest and conviction of two armed drug dealers from London who had been committing numerous offences in Eastbourne.

Alan is married to Janette and has five sons, one of which has followed in his footsteps and is a current serving police officer with Sussex Police.

Chief Inspector Mark Ling this week paid tribute to Alan and said, “He will have completed 45 years and three months of continuous public service with the force and will be greatly missed by friends, colleagues and everyone who has worked with him over those 45 years.”

Alan said he planned to enjoy his retirement by spending time with his family and indulging his passion for local football and watching two of his sons, who play for Eastbourne United Football Club.