Trevor’s Week: Swan felt the long arm of the law

Trevor weeks column
Trevor weeks column

After last week being all bats and owls, this week has been about swans.

We received numerous calls about a swan which was on the side of the A27 near the Glynde Reach river bridge near Beddingham. We attended on site and couldn’t find the swan after a search of the grass verges. The following day Sussex Police called saying they had detained a swan which was sat in the layby on the A27 close to the previous day’s reports. We rushed out and located the police car, but the swan had wandered down the embankment and an officer had covered the swan in his jacket to keep it secure. New rescuer Jack helped me with the swan , which was carried to the ambulance before being thoroughly checked over for injuries. There were a few minor grazes but nothing of any concern, and the young swans was certainly lively and hissing. We decided the it was suitable for release so it was taken to a non-territorial section of the river and released.

Rescuer Tony also rushed to the aid of swan which hit a telegraph pole in Langney. The swan was very dazed and concussed. Tony was able to get the swan to our hospital at Whitesmith fairly quickly but sadly it died en route.

Another young swan hit the windscreen of a car on Eastbourne Road, Westham, outside the Mercedes Garage. The swan picked itself up and sat by the garage, but it took more than four hours for anyone to call WRAS for help. Tony rushed out and picked up the swan up and brought it to me for assessment. The swan was clearly dazed , concussed and quite pale too. The swan was therefore medicated and settled in at the Casualty Centre for recovery and warmth. The following day the swan was completely different and much more lively, standing and eating well. Once checked over the bird was confirmed fit for release, so taken to the non-territorial flock of swans at Princes Park.

British Divers Marine Life Rescue called me out to help with a seal rescue at Langney Point. The common seal was fairly young, but in good body condition and well hydrated but with numerous puncture wounds to his body, front and rear flippers and on the muzzle. I caught the seal and securely get it into WRAS’s ambulance before transporting the seal over to the special seal facilities at RSPCA Mallydams at Hastings.