Trevor’s Week - September 28, 2011: We’ve dealt with more than twice as many baby deer this year

The rescue of a young deer caught in stock fencing
The rescue of a young deer caught in stock fencing

THIS weekend has been busy which started at 8.30am on Saturday morning with emergency calls from several dog walkers at Abbots Wood, Arlington near Hailsham.

A juvenile roe deer had become caught in stock fencing, so Kathy Martyn, Tony and Claire Neads helped me to deal with the deer, which was not easy to deal with.

Our first challenge was due to the deer being caught between two lines of fencing, so every time I stood or moved I got caught on the barbed wire.

Whilst trying to jump over one of the fences, one of the deer’s rear legs had caught one of the wires in the stock fencing which then twisted and clamped against her hock joint, causing her to hit the ground and hang from the fence.

Emergency medication was given before walking the 15 minute journey back to the veterinary ambulance. This was not an easy task as we had to ask dog walkers to hold onto their dogs as we passed to avoid their dogs having a go at the deer as we carried her. She was certainly getting heavy when we got back to the ambulance.

She was transported back to WRAS’s Casualty Care Centre at Whitesmith where her ligature wounds were better assessed and treated.

She is extremely lucky. She was not caught as long as the other seven baby deer caught in fencing who were dealt by WRAS this year.

Ligature wounds can be invisible but still fatal. She is going to need at least a week’s observation before we have a more accurate idea as to how serious the ligature wounds are. She is now with Chris and Sylvia for their expert care and monitoring.

WRAS has dealt with over twice as many baby deer this year than previously. In 2009, WRAS dealt with seven baby deer, so far in 2011 WRAS has dealt with 15.

Deer are not cheap animals to treat, house or feed, but we are pulling out the stops to try to help as many as we can.

Nowhere is able to take them in this area and we can no longer take them to the specialist Deer Hospital in Buckinghamshire. She has been called Dacey, which means ‘wild thing’, and we are keeping our fingers crossed for her.

Saturday’s rescues also involved checking a cygnet caught in fishing line at Shinewater Lake, pigeons with canker and several injured foxes which ran off before rescuers had a chance to arrive.

We had a wasted journey to a rescue in Hove after being called out by a very young girl. When rescuers arrived they were told someone else had been and collected it wasting our time.

Sunday involved rescuers responding to a kestrel which had fallen into a water trough in the Heathfield area. The bird is now in WRAS’s care and should be released very soon.

There was also a badly injured hedgehog in Seaford which we could hear screaming in pain whilst speaking to the caller over the phone.

We would like to thank everyone who contributed to WRAS either at Newhaven Sainsbury’s or at Sylvia Harrison’s open house and garden in Bishopstone on Saturday.

Sylvia raised over £380 for WRAS and her ploughman’s lunches were delicious! Sadly we missed the main morning period of Saturday at Newhaven Sainsbury’s due to the deer rescue, but still raised over £400.

It has been another week of bat rescues. On Friday we dealt with a cat attacked Nathusius Pipistrelle bat at Etchingham High Street. The bat had been caught by a cat twice, as well as being picked up by a dog!

Last Thursday night we were called to a Natterers Bat in a lounge in Tunbridge Wells, at 10.30pm. We were unable to contact anyone else in the area to respond, so decided to go ourselves. Jenny Clark from the Sussex Bat Hospital agreed to wait up for us to arrive with the possible cat caught bat. We returned home about 12.30am.

On Wednesday last week we also had a call to a long-eared bat near Mayfield. Luckily this one was a bit dehydrated and underweight, and not injured at all.

We have also dealt with a few hedgehogs too. We had a dog attacked hedgehog found outside Tesco Express in Uckfield after it was handed in to Henley House Vets.

We had a call to a very small juvenile hedgehog found near Heathfield, very underweight, badly injured and full of maggots which had to be put down at Downwood Vets at Horam.

WRAS is having a Unusual Quiz Night and Party on Saturday, October 22 2011 from 7.30pm till 11pm at Berwick Village Hall, which is five minutes’ walk from Berwick Railway Station. Tickets cost £10 per person, which includes food (chilli and/or soup, bread etc) and free entry for teams of up to 2 in our Unusual Quiz. There will be a bar and music.

This should be a great night to raise money for East Sussex Wildlife Rescue.

The quiz will involve tasting, drinking, listening, smelling and touching questions.

The winning team will receive a silver bracelet, wine/beer, and two nights’ stay in a luxury Tipi courtesy of Big Sky Tipis, who are sponsoring the quiz. You can find out more information about this unique prize at their website:

Tickets are available for from Checkers Barbers, 44 Seaside, Eastbourne BN22 7QJ, or from WRAS’s Casualty Care Centre, Unit 8 The Shaw Barn, Whitesmith, BN8 6JD.

You can also send cheques to WRAS’s Casualty Centre to purchase tickets.


East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service is a voluntary organisation which relies on donations, receiving no funding from government or the RSPCA. Anyone wishing to make a donation should contact the treasurer at PO Box 2148, Seaford, BN25 9DE.

• 24-hour rescue line: 07815 078234