Seaford student back home after horror fall

Luke with parents Linda and Clive
Luke with parents Linda and Clive

A STUDENT from Seaford has returned to the family home after spending more than two months in hospital following an horrific accident abroad.

Luke Sheppard’s mother Linda has hailed his return as ‘a miracle’ after the 24-year-old plunged 60ft down a cliff on a cycling holiday in Croatia back in August.

The Vale Road resident was found at the bottom of the cliff having swallowed his tongue and he was taken to hospital in a coma.

He spent days on a ventilator before being flown to the UK for further treatment.

At one stage he was transferred from King’s College Hospital’s Liver Intensive Care Unit to a high dependency ward.

He was also found to have a slight bleed on the brain.

But on Wednesday last week he was discharged and is now recuperating at the family home and expected to make a full recovery.

Mrs Sheppard said, “All my family is relieved and very happy, all we ever wanted is for Luke to come home. Our prayers have been answered.

“It’s been a long journey and very traumatic but we’re ecstatic he’s back at home.

“He’s not quite there yet but he’s out of hospital and that can only be a good thing.

“It’s a miracle really.”

She added that the family had received support from Luke’s old school Cardinal Newman Catholic School in Hove and from St Thomas More Catholic Church in Seaford, where she is a member of the congregation.

She said, “There’s been strong community spirit and that’s what I found really amazing, it’s great when things happen and people really pull together.”

Luke, who lives at home with his mother, father Clive and 18-year-old brother Josh, is spending time recovering before he returns to university. The student, who studies art and illustration at the University of Westminster, also has another brother, Matthew, 28.

Luke, who is on strong medication, said, “I’m happy to be home. It’s nice, it’s just a different ball game. I want to thank my parents who have been very good for being there for me throughout and all my families and friends that prayed for me.”