Rollercoaster of a week for WRAS rescuers

IT’S BEEN a rollercoaster of emotions this week.

The week started with an amazing little owl which was found caught up in cricket netting at Laughton. This small bird of prey had its leg entangled in the netting and a potential ligature wounds to its leg so came into care at the Casualty Centre.

It was nice for rescuers Sean and Dilly to take him out for release back to the wild and watch him fly off really well on Friday evening after making a full recovery.

Rescuer Stuart had the job of releasing the road casualty fox from Bexhill from last week too. A week ago I was honestly thinking we would be looking at possibly having to euthanise the fox but the following day it was starting to stand and really starting to improve, by Friday night the fox was really ready to go scratching like mad to escape.

Rescuer Tony was called out to a tawny owl which fell down a chimney. He is still in care and cleaning himself off, bathing in a large water bowl in his cage. Hopefully this week he should be ready for release.

September 4 saw our two-year anniversary of the official opening of our Casualty Centre at Whitesmith. I cannot believe that it was two years ago and how many thousands of casualties have been through the doors now. Thank you very much for your support as this is only due to those who support our work by making donations to fund these project and the treatment of the casualties we get called to.

There have been a number of night time rescues this week, with Tony dealing with a poorly fox in Eastbourne, which had a wound to its front leg which was badly infected.

Tony called me down to the Casualty Centre late at night where I then spent time cleaning out the injuries and infection as well as giving antibiotics and pain relief.

We bedded him down and left him to rest in peace. The following morning the fox seemed to be improving but sadly suddenly went down hill, had to be booked in to see one of our vets and sadly didn’t survive. The vet thought the infection was probably got the better of him, and that we had done everything right and couldn’t have done anything more.

I was allowed out of the centre to release a lovely pigeon which fell down a chimney in Eastbourne in Redoubt Road about a week ago. The bird was a bit dazed and couldn’t fly when first admitted but is now fit and well and he flew off well when we released him on the lawn outside the Redoubt Fortress. You can see the video of his release along with other rescues at our You Tube Channel

We had an amazing nightjar rescued in Seaford last week. They are amazing birds and this is only the second we have ever seen. They are migratory birds and it won’t be long before they will be migrating back to Africa. Phoning round trying to find people who had experience of rehabilitating them was like trying to get blood out of stone as so few rescue centre have had them in. We were at first quite optimistic about its treatment but when our vets examined him better, the puncture marks on the bird back and head were much worse than first thought. Sadly we had no option but to euthanise the bird which was very disappointing and upsetting.

We were inundated with injured gull calls over the weekend, we dealt with quite a few but weren’t able to help them all sadly as we only had a couple of people available. I so wish we were bigger and had more funds so we could help and provide an even bigger service.

Sadly Kathy and I had to have one of our cats, Harry, put down on Saturday lunchtime. He was aged 17. It was 10 weeks and a day since he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma of the skull. We knew on Friday night and Saturday morning that we were nearing the end. He was still eating and purring but the messages aren’t getting from his brain to his legs properly now and he is getting confused about what is happening. He had a lovely day out in the sunshine on Friday in his garden. Such a sad and hard decision to make, but we don’t want him to suffer. He had a lovely short trip with us in the front of the ambulance looking out of the window, purring away and sitting on his favourite blue blanket which we have left him snuggled in now and forever. He has left us with a massive hole in our lives but it was exactly the right time for him, and we will both miss him.