Eastbourne takeaway reduces proposed late opening hours
An Eastbourne restaurant and takeaway has offered to reduce its proposed late opening hours in order to secure a new premises licence.
Chef H Fast Food Factory has opened up in the Langney Road unit previously occupied by KFC.
It originally applied for a premises licence to serve food until 4am from Monday to Saturday as well as serving alcohol until 11pm each day
.But both Sussex Police and Eastbourne Borough Council’s licensing team had concerns about this due to the restaurant falling within the town’s cumulative impact zone, where applicants need to demonstrate their licence will not add to existing pressures.
However at a council licensing sub-committee meeting on Tuesday (March 16), the applicant’s agent Ziya Merton proposed some changes and extra conditions which appeared to go some way to addressing both the police and EBC’s concerns.
He said they would accept closing at 12am Monday to Thursday, at 3am on Friday and Saturday and 11pm on Sunday.
Sale of alcohol would still stop at 11pm and SIA trained door supervisors would be on duty on Fridays and Saturdays from 11pm to closing time.
He confirmed alcohol would not be displayed and could only be purchased with a substantial meal for takeaway and delivery only and not for consumption on the premises.
He apologised for the lack of communication before the hearing, which he took responsibility for, and said it was not a reflection on applicant Latin Borisov.
Mr Merton explained how Mr Borisov would operate the restaurant to a high standard and had promised to work with both the council and community to help maintain a well managed evening economy.
The police’s main issue with the late opening times is that given there are so many late-night venues in the vicinity which close at 3am the likelihood is many of these revellers would congregate at Chef H, which could lead to crime and disorder as well as public nuisance.
There was discussion about whether the premises could close even earlier to takeaways at 1am with only deliveries taking place after this time.
Earlier in the hearing Colin Belsey (Con, Ratton) had expressed frustration more efforts had not been made at mediation, adding: “I just feel sometimes that we are putting obstacles in the way of people trying to open up a business in Eastbourne where one has just gone to the wall.”
Both the council’s officers and the police’s licensing officer explained that approaches had been made after their representations on the premises licence had been lodged.
Mr Merton explained it had been difficult to contact his client due to Covid, while they had also been relocating to new offices and had experienced issues with their phone lines.
He said: “The applicant Mr Borisov is a conscientious person who does not want to disturb local residents as he is also one of them.”
The sub-committee adjourned to make a decision, which is due to be published within five working days.