Owner banned from keeping dogs after frenzied attack

A DOG owner who stamped on her pet’s head in a ‘frenzy’ has appeared in court. Eastbourne magistrates heard the Staffordshire bull terrier was ‘cowering and offering no resistance’ as Tracy Killeen launched the attack.

The incident unfolded when the 50-year-old took the animal to a vet to inquire about it being put down.

The court heard she had been bitten by the dog earlier that day and that it had attacked another dog in the town.

The defendant, who turned up at the clinic with an injury to her hand, left soon afterwards and was seen to sit on a nearby wall.

She then seemed to fall from it and came back inside the vet claiming the animal had bitten someone’s face off and she had been in custody overnight.

The court heard while this was happening the dog was running outside in the road.

Killeen, of Horsa Close, was then seen to lift the dog by its collar and punch its head before stamping on it. A horrified nurse who witnessed the attack had to walk away before a kennel assistant went outside to get the dog.

After police attended the scene Killeen later became agitated and kicked out, striking an officer, before spitting at another.

In interview the defendant, who is currently on a community order, said she had left the dog outside when it snarled at her.

Killeen, who has been to see a community psychiatric nurse, pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal and two counts of assaulting a constable in the execution of their duty.

Christos Christou, defending, said his client could not remember all the details of the incident, adding she had the dog since it was born.

He continued, “In relation to this matter she pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity and is entitled to maximum credit.

“There had been a previous incident when it had bitten her in the face. On this day it had bitten her on the finger. When she was walking through town the dog attacked another dog, causing the lady owner to fall over.

“She thought she needed to do something about it and wanted information on how it could be put down. As far as the day in question is concerned she was on a great deal of medication.”

He added his client had drunk a glass of wine and with that and a combination of medication and issues about her mental health she had acted out of character.

As Killeen wept in the dock Eastbourne magistrates disqualified her from keeping dogs for an indefinite period and she was also given a six-month community order with a supervision requirement.

She was also ordered to pay £25 compensation to each of the two police officers and pay £85 costs.

The court heard after the offence the dog was taken into the care of the RSPCA.

An RSPCA spokesperson said, “This is a horrendous attack on a poor dog. It would have suffered terribly to have beaten by its owner in this way. There’s simply no excuse for this type of behaviour.”