Eastbourne man with ‘chronic’ pain dies after prescription drug overdose

A man suffering with ‘severe’ and ‘chronic’ pain was found dead by his neighbour after overdosing on prescription drugs, an inquest at Eastbourne heard.

Thursday, 30th January 2020, 3:40 pm
Updated Thursday, 30th January 2020, 3:41 pm

William Jackson, 63, from Willingdon Road, died on September 11 after overdosing on his medication while trying to deal with severe pain from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease - which he suffered with for the past 12 years, according to his GP.

Rosalind Davis, Mr Jackson’s neighbour and friend of two years, said in a statement, “Bill had many health problems including COPD. He was in constant pain and rarely slept. He didn’t like to use the painkillers and didn’t want to be admitted to hospital for treatment.

“He had been getting worse in the last two years. He discussed going to Switzerland and Canada - where he used to live and loved. I have never known Bill to be suicidal.”

Rosalind told the inquest that on the day of Mr Jackson’s death she had text him twice but did not receive a reply. She then walked round to Mr Jackson’s house where she saw him sitting in an armchair in the living room.

Rosalind said, “I could see Bill sitting on the sofa. He was very still and I believed he may have died. I asked a builder nearby to come in with me as I didn’t want to go in alone.”

The inquest heard paramedics were called but Mr Jackson was already dead. A note was found at the property.

Pathologist Zainab Ali said COPD and drug toxicity was the cause of Mr Jackson’s death.

Assistant coroner James Healey-Pratt said Mr Jackson had chronic ill health for a significant period of time and his mental health was sub-optimal.

The coroner recorded a conclusion of suicide.