Waggling and squeaking for food

editorial image

Despite the snow last week most of our volunteers managed to get in, my sincere thanks to them all for their hard work.

I ended up staying two nights at the centre because of the snow.

We still had casualties coming in though during the snow, at least three pigeons, a hedgehog and a blackbird were admitted.

There was also a bat from a school in Eastbourne too. Two of the pigeons were elderly, one with severe canker the other with a broken wing and the younger third pigeon has severe coccidia and is under weight.

Chris and Lyn who run a small rescue organisation in Bexhill delivered across two nestling pigeons later in the week after they were dumped on their doorstep.

The one thing which kept me smiling during the stress of dealing with the adverse weather was the cheerfulness of the young pigeons wing waggling and squeaking for food!

New baby pigeon Amigo was another addition at the hospital this week. He was rescued by Tony and delivered to Kathy who nursed the bird overnight. He has a few small wounds on his back, a bloody nose injury, a full crop but not yet fledged, so possibly taken from the nest by something, he needed a few stitches but is doing well and is now in with Pinky, a white pigeon of the same age who was also taken from his nest.

We had an emergency call to Peacehaven after a dove became caught in a fence. There was blood everywhere and the poor bird’s wing was very badly damaged.

Rescuer Dave attended on site and swiftly freed the bird which was then taken to the vets where sadly the injuries were too severe to survive.

Congratulations to Victoria Duffin and Thomas Orger who are due to be married on November 30. To Celebrating their wedding they have set up a justgiving donation page in aid of WRA – www.justgiving.com/VickiandTomwedding.

The injured fox at Constable Way Bexhill which was rescued three weeks ago going round in circles after being hit by a car was finally released too. We were looking to release her the Monday night the snow hit, but this was delayed till the Thursday.

It was really good to see her go. People are starting to call us regarding fox cubs.

If you are dismantling a shed or anything and come across some cubs, we would advise that you replace the base covering the young and leave for 24 hours. Normally the vixen will come back and move her youngsters to somewhere safe.