TREVOR WEEKS: Rescues this week included flying a buzzard to Gloucestershire

WRAS Chris Riddington handing over the buzzard to Lucy Kells from Vale Wildlife Rescue at Gloucester Airport SUS-160725-093932001
WRAS Chris Riddington handing over the buzzard to Lucy Kells from Vale Wildlife Rescue at Gloucester Airport SUS-160725-093932001

From bats and buzzards to cygnets and hedgehogs it’s been another busy week.

We’ve had two pipistrelle bats rescued this week, both injured as a result of being caught by cats.

Thank you to Jenny Clark at the Sussex Bat Hospital at Forest Row for taking them on from us.

With the amount of insects around at the moment bats are out in force flying around at night.

Road casualties have been up this week with numerous night times casualties too.

Rescuer Chris rushed to the aid of a fox by the war memorial in Seaford.

After quite a search of the area the fox was found and caged.

I met Chris back at the Casualty Centre where we assessed her condition and found what we thought could be a fractured pelvis.

We administered emergency medication and vet James at Henley House Vets in Uckfield kindly assessed her first thing in the morning and confirmed our fears that the pelvis was too badly damaged.

Its not nice having to have any animal put to sleep, and being so tired it makes it even more difficult to deal with, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that we have helped them and they are no longer suffering.

We are being inundated with road casualty gull calls all week.

These include gulls hit by cars in St Annes Road/The Avenue junction in Eastbourne, in Langney Road, Eastbourne; in St Marys Road Eastbourne, in Kings Drive Eastbourne, in Lottbridge Drive Eastbourne and Terminus Road Eastbourne to name a few.

Ambulances have also dealt with injured pigeon in Stirling Avenue Seaford, a hedgehog out during the day in Tilgate Close Eastbourne, and a catted pigeon in Offham Road, Lewes.

We have all been working really long hours this week.

I’ve worked over 105 hours this week as well as being on call 24 hours a day for the past two weeks.

Katie and Nikola have also been up at night feeding baby hedgehogs and birds too.

Chris had a rather unusual journey to deliver a buzzard to Vale Wildlife Rescue in Gloucestershire at the weekend.

Without charge a WRAS supporter from Leighton Buzzard flew his plane into Shoreham Airport where he met Chris and our buzzard and flew them across to Gloucester Staverton Airport where he was met by Lucy Kells Vale Wildlife Rescue’s vet nurse.

The journey was just 40 minutes by plane and much quicker than the three hour drive it would normally take.

The buzzard has been sent to them as they have a lot of experience in dealing with buzzards and operating on them as this buzzard is likely to need a pin in its wing.

They have really good facilities for them to be operated on and rehabilitated afterwards.

A big thank you to Graham Mountfield for flying, Chris for accompanying the buzzard and everyone at Vale for taking our patient on and for working so hard to fix him.

This week has seen some very sad news.

Many rescue centres across the country have one thing in common, they have started after being influenced by the amazing work of Les Stocker MBE and his charity St Tiggywinkles in Buckinghamshire.

Sadly Les passed away on Saturday July 16 after a short and sudden illness on his return journey from holiday.

WRAS’s thoughts are with his family, friends and work colleagues at St Tiggywinkles.

The entire wildlife rescue world is shocked by this sad news and the loss of someone who has made such a big impact on UK wildlife.

A true inspiration.

Many of our birds of prey are close to release now.

We have three tawny owls and a kestrel which we are hoping to release in the next week or so.

Our orphan team won’t know what to do with themselves soon with everything moving on so quickly.

It won’t be long before we start getting second or third broods of baby birds coming into care.

Chris and I were called out to a cygnet with a head injury in the river behind Lewes Rugby Club.

We used our inflatable boat to form a barrier across the river and nets on long poles to catch the cygnet.

We were reluctant to use swan hooks due to the neck and head injuries.

The wounds are unusual and down to the skull.

Whether the cygnet has become caught in fencing or something we really don’t know.

The cygnet was transported up to the Swan Sanctuary for their help and assistance.