TREVOR WEEKS: Hedgehogs, an injured warbler and the releases of several casualties

Warbler from Eastbourne SUS-160919-103635001
Warbler from Eastbourne SUS-160919-103635001

Rescuers Katie, Laura and Chris rescued five spiky babies on Friday night, along with their mum, from a garden in Pevensey Bay.

During garden work the nest was disturbed and the caller, trying to do the best for them, put them in a hutch to keep them safe.

Unfortunately mum kept getting confused as to where her babies were.

Rescuers attended on site in order to see the situation for themselves and to help make the right decision whether to being them in or not.

When rescuers arrived they found mum was separate from the babies.

After speaking to Kathy and I, we jointly decided it would be best to bring them in to Kathy’s maternity shed in Uckfield.

It was decided to transport them separately and Kathy would use her experience to reintroduce them once they were bedded down.

Just after 10pm the rescuers arrived at Kathy’s where she had already got a maternity suite waiting.

Kathy gently put the babies in one side of a hutch in a bedding compartment and mum by the food on the other side.

After a while, mum started to take bedding in for the babies before eventually going in to feed them.

Mummy hog ate all her dinner during the night and every night since and has done a great job building a cosy nest for her and her babies.

Sir Galahad the hedgehog came back into care this week. He was rescued by WRAS back in December 2015 after being found in a road with a limp but he was released only a few days later fit and well.

He has come back into care last week after being found outside during the day with flies buzzing round him.

After being rescued, medics spent the evening treating his wounds, and removing maggots and fly eggs using a new donated suction pump unit purchased using money from a small legacy recently left to WRAS.

Numerous spines over his body had to be cut away in order to get to the fly eggs and maggots and to ensure they were fully removed from his head, body and ears.

After his wounds had been treated and cleaned he was bedded down and straight away started tucking into his dinner.

You can see a video of him on our You Tube Channel

Fly eggs and maggots have been a real pain this week. We also had a baby pigeon come in from Bexhill Wildlife Rescue.

He was rescued by Chris Tucker and was absolutely smothered in fly eggs and hatched maggots over all his body, in his ears, nostrils and mouth.

Chris spent more than an hour removing them, but realised that this was going to be a huge job as they were so thick, and he had all his other animals to feed, so contacted WRAS and asked if we could take him on.

Rescuers Kai and Mitch went to collect him and brought him back to the centre, where casualty manager Katie assessed him and quickly called me in as the fly strike was so severe and he had wounds that needed emergency suturing.

Using our new donated suction unit we worked on him for over three hours, until 1am giving him breaks in between and he was finally taken to Kathy’s in the early hours for specialist one on one care.

We honestly didn’t think he was going to made it but as he was battling through we wanted to give him a chance and we are glad we did as he is now thriving and doing very well.

He now wing waggles for food and is turning into a right little character.

He is not out of the woods yet but fingers crossed he will do well.

This was just one of eight new additions to Kathy’s baby family in just 48 hours!

Other rescues this week have included a hedgehog caught in netting rescued at Hamsey Primary School at Cooksbridge, a poorly hedgehog hit by a car in Browns Lane ,Uckfield, a badger road casualty in St Leonards, a pigeon in Piddinghoe and two swans that crash landed in Eastbourne.

A beautiful warbler also came in from Eastbourne after being caught by a cat after striking a window. Has an injured wing, but fingers crossed.

After a fairly quiet evening shift on Thursday, within half hour of me starting the night shift I was called to a road casualty fox on the A26 north of Eridge, but this got up and ran off shortly before I arrived.

Then as I’m returning home I get a call to a dog attacked hedgehog at South Chailey, which sadly died of its injuries.

So far we have managed to release 24 of our hand reared baby hedgehogs with more still in care that we hope to gain enough weight to be released in the autumn, we have also released a number of adult hedgehogs back home as well as some older juveniles who got into bother after leaving home.

They have gone back to their home ranges where they will have already been foraging with mum. We have also recently released the road casualty tawny owl from near Golden Cross, two foxes have gone out for release, soft released 14 hand reared young feral pigeons in the last two weeks with another seven about to go into their soft release aviary.

The last of our baby garden birds are going out to their aviary this week as are the last of our corvids - two jackdaws, a rook, crow and a magpie.